Our top pick: International Van Lines’ long list of services, worldwide availability, and unbeatable customer service make it the best long-distance moving company in the biz. All of our top picks are excellent, though, and some of them may be a better fit than IVL for your residential move.
The Best Long-Distance Moving Companies of 2023
- : Best overall
- : Best for accurate pricing
- : Best for up-front pricing
- : Best customer reviews
Compare the best long-distance moving companies
What to look for in a long-distance moving company
- Look for a company that offers binding estimates. If a company’s estimates aren’t binding, it can increase your price at a moment’s notice.
- Check a company’s coverage options. Great coverage costs extra, but every reputable moving company offers basic liability coverage for free.
- Look for positive customer reviews online. Pay special attention to what customers are saying about a company’s pricing and punctuality.
*Bonus: use our step-by-step moving checklist. It will carry you through every step of your move, from hiring your moving company, unpacking your last box in your new home, and everything in between.
International Van Lines—Best overall
Bottom line: International Van Lines (IVL) does it all and with great customer service. Since it's a carrier, you'll have full access to their personal moving van fleets and in-house moving staff, which means you'll be in direct contact with the company facilitating your move. You can rest easy knowing that the people you hired are the same people ensuring the safety and care of your belongings.
To learn more, read our full International Van Lines review.
Safeway Moving—Best for accurate pricing
Bottom line: Safeway Moving is a moving broker that provides long-distance moves for competitive rates anywhere in the country. And although it won’t handle local moves, it provides one month of free storage.
To learn more, read our full Safeway Moving review.
American Van Lines—Best for up-front pricing
Bottom line: American Van Lines uses flat-rate pricing based on weight and distance to predict your move cost accurately. You won’t pay extra if the loading process takes a couple of extra hours or the moving crew has to take a detour because of construction.
If you want to learn more, read our full review of American Van Lines.
Mayzlin Relocation—Best customer reviews
Bottom line: Mayzlin Relocation is the best-reviewed company on our list. Their sales agents provide helpful tips, like how to avoid common moving scams, and they do what they can to pass along discounts to customers. If customer service is your priority, Mayzlin Relocation is tough to beat. Because you can't get an online quote with Mayzlin, you'll need to give them a call or fill out the new customer form on their website.
If you want to learn more, read our full review of Mayzlin Relocation.
Now that we’ve told you all about our favorite moving companies, here are a few guides that can help you take the next step towards a successful move:
- Moving Deals and Discounts
- Apply for a Move.org Moving Assistant Grant
- How Much Should It Cost to Move?
- Our Guide to DIY Moving
- Is Moving Insurance Really Necessary?
- 5 Ways to Tell If a Moving Company Is a Scam
- How Do Moving Companies Charge?
- The Best Car Shipping Companies
- How to Perform a Home Inventory