SGT Auto Transport is one of the most reliable car shippers on the market, and so it’s no surprise that it has made it onto our list of best car shipping companies. As a company that’s been in business for almost a decade (and boasts over 30K happy customers), we’ve got a lot of reasons to like SGT. From offering extremely competitive prices, to providing fully customizable services and 24-hour customer service, SGT is a titan in its industry—and it’s here to stay.
2023 SGT Auto Transport Review
How SGT compares to the car shipping industry
|Company information||SGT||Industry average|
|Company pricing (out of 5)||$||$$$|
|Average customer review score||4.7 / 5||4.6 / 5|
|Offers extra insurance coverage|
Check out how SGT Auto Transport compares to its competitors in our article on the Best Car Shipping Companies.
How much does SGT Auto Transport cost?
SGT costs approximately $955, on average, to ship a car. We’ve compared nearly 700 quotes and found that SGT charges about $150 less than the industry average. Prices range from around $955 to ship a car on an open transport carrier to approximately $1,289 to send your vehicle on an enclosed carrier.
Open transport is usually the most cost-effective option, but enclosed carriers are great for new or classic vehicles—especially if you have concerns about damage from road debris. Just be mindful that enclosed shipping is usually more expensive.
SGT average car shipping pricing
|Transport type||Car (Toyota Corolla)||SUV (Ford Explorer)||Truck (Ford F-150)|
Data as of 10/5/2022. Offers and availability may vary and are subject to change. Average cost calculated by comparing shipping costs for 3 vehicle sizes across 11 distances.
How SGT pricing compares
As we’ve mentioned, SGT is generally cheaper than other car shipping companies by about $150, especially if you’re looking to ship a vehicle. Additionally, you can be confident you’re getting the most competitive pricing because SGT is happy to price match its competitors. You’ll also be glad to know that there is no requirement to book after receiving a quote, and your quote will be valid for 7 full calendar days. A few other things to note:
- Rates at SGT are all-inclusive, meaning all fees, taxes, and insurance are covered with its door-to-door service.
- SGT advertises that it does not have any hidden fees, so the price you receive with your quote will be the price you pay.
- SGT doesn’t require any up-front payment, and payment can either be made in full at delivery, or partially at pickup (with the rest due at delivery).
Many of these factors are not offered by SGT’s competitors—because in the auto shipping industry, it’s not uncommon for prices to increase by up to 25% between the quoting and delivery stages of the shipment. This is because most auto transporters submit your shipment to multiple truck drivers to bid on, and it’s rare that a driver will agree to ship a vehicle at the lowest price … resulting in a higher-than-quoted price on the back-end.
We’re not exactly sure how SGT can get around this, but with 30K+ happy customers under its belt, we can be sure it’s not joking about its ability to offer guaranteed pricing. We’re guessing it has something to do with the more than 25K vetted carriers working within SGT’s proprietary network.
SGT cost factors
Auto transport prices are subject to change daily (and sometimes even minute by minute) across the industry. Additionally, SGT says that several things affect your car shipping price:
- Distance. Unsurprisingly, it usually costs more the farther you ship your vehicle. For example, the average cost to ship a car 250 miles with SGT is approximately $499—while the fee to transport a vehicle across the country is about $1,100. You can expect fuel costs to add to your overall price as well.
- Vehicle size and weight. The smaller (and lighter) your car, the less shipping costs. You can transport a lightweight motorcycle like a Honda Super Cub C125 with SGT for as little as $500, while the average price for a heavy truck is more than $1,000.
- Car relocation method. At SGT, you have the option to choose between open and enclosed transport. An open trailer exposes the car to the elements (there aren’t any walls), while an enclosed trailer keeps your vehicle safe inside of a semi-truck. Open transport’s usually cheaper, but enclosed transport works great for new and expensive vehicles.
- Auto transport timeline. Shipments booked during peak-season will always cost more. On the other hand, you’ll probably find pricing to be at its lowest if you have a flexible delivery timeline and can ship your vehicle during non-peak season. For example, you can often save hundreds simply by booking in the winter and fall (instead of summer)—so it’s worth planning ahead.
- Car condition. Expect to pay extra if your car won’t start, or if you have additional modifications on your vehicle. You can also expect to pay more if you plan to load personal items into the car befores shipping. Bottom line: the more of a hassle it is for the driver to get your vehicle from Point A to Point B, the more it’ll cost you.
- Extra services. Extra features such as express shipping, top-loading,, and guaranteed pick-up will add to your final costs.
Looking for some of the lowest prices in car shipping?
SGT coverage options
SGT offers comprehensive insurance coverage that will protect your vehicle throughout the entire auto transport service. SGT also pre-screens every car shipping carrier to ensure it meets all insurance requirements under the Department of Transport (DOT) regulations. Plus, their pricing is all-inclusive, so the cost for insurance is included in your initial quote. That means you don’t have to worry about hidden fees or extra charges on the back end.
While we can confirm that SGT Auto Transport is a legitimate company, not every auto transporter will be. Make sure to review Move.org’s Car Shipping Insurance Tips to protect yourself against suspicious companies.
SGT's best features and services
SGT at a glance
|Broker or carrier||Broker|
|Carries basic insurance|
|Availability (# of states)||49|
|Average customer service rating||4.7 / 5|
|Years in business||9|
SGT has all of the basic car shipping services (like open and enclosed shipping), but it also has a few additional bells and whistles worth mentioning:
- Door-to-door transport
- Open car transport
- Enclosed auto transport
- Hawaii (and international) car transport
- Cross-country shipping
- Express auto transport and top-load placement
- Guaranteed pick-up service
- Motorcycle shipping
What we like about SGT Auto Transport
Instant online quotes and guaranteed prices
Online quoting tools are not necessarily a given in the auto transportation industry, so we find this to be a pretty incredible feature—especially because SGT stands by the pricing offered in those quotes. We’ve been able to confirm that the price you’ll receive (whether using the online tool or by phone) are guaranteed, and good for 7 calendar days. Additionally, you can expect your quote to be all-inclusive … meaning you won’t have to be on the lookout for hidden fees. You can ask for discounts, including ones for the military. And the cherry on top? It price matches any direct competitor, as long as you can provide the written quote.
Extra safe transit
You know your vehicle is in safe hands with SGT, because it provides full-coverage insurance at no additional cost for each of its door-to-door shipments. Insurance is not a given in this industry, so the fact that SGT will guarantee coverage for any damage incurred during transit is a big deal. Keep in mind though, that this coverage does not apply to items inside the vehicle, so it’s best to remove any possessions that could be damaged during transit.
Customizable services and features
SGT Transport offers many services that their competitors shy away from, including guaranteed pickup dates and express shipping and delivery. Plus, its dedicated shipping advisors can help you customize your quote to match your needs, and your budget. SGT even allows their customers to ship up to 100 lb. of personal belongings in their vehicle.
World-class customer services
It’s not hard to get in touch with someone at SGT, and that’s completely by design. The company prides itself on delivering happy customers, and we’d bet this has a lot to do with its emphasis on customer service. Its experienced car shipping advisors are able to assist you 24/7, 365 days a year, so you know your shipment is being monitored closely at all times. And although it doesn’t offer GPS-tracking like some competitors, its 24/7 availability makes it easy to check in on your vehicle’s progress throughout the shipment process. It's even willing to provide free cancellation for missed pick-up dates. SGT is committed to providing a positive customer experience every time, and it's got the customer reviews to prove it.
At the end of the day, SGT Auto Transport makes our list of the best car shipping companies for a reason. Between its lower-than-average pricing and commitment to customer satisfaction, it’s definitely no surprise that the company receives an average customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. SGT Auto Transport is making waves in the industry…and with a continued focus on innovation and customer transparency, its sure to rise to the top.
Looking for some of the lowest car shipping prices in the industry?
SGT Auto Transport FAQ
What information do I need to get a quote on the SGT website?
SGT offers instant quotes using its online tool, but you’ll need to know a few things to get started:
- Whether you want open on enclosed shipping
- The pickup and delivery locations
- The make and model of your vehicle
- Whether there are any modifications on the vehicle
- Whether the vehicle is operational and running (or not)
- Whether you plan to load up personal items in your vehicle
- Your first available pickup date
- Your email address and phone number
One thing we’d like to mention: SGT’s online quoting tool malfunctions frequently, so you may have to speak to someone using the online chat function, or call in to receive your quote.
Where is SGT based?
SGT is based in Greenville, South Carolina. However, the company’s services extend far beyond its headquarters location. SGT ships cars in every state, including Hawaii, and also offers international shipping.
Can I ship a motorcycle with SGT?
Yes, you can ship a motorcycle with SGT. The company’s average cost of $902 is admittedly more expensive than many of its competitors, but it still comes in about $40 less than the industry average. And it offers some of the most competitive pricing in the industry for car shipping across both closed and enclosed shipment options.
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
- Compare quotes. We collected nearly 700 quotes from 10 different companies. The car shipping quotes included prices for a motorcycle, car, SUV, and truck across 11 distances on both open and enclosed transport.
- Mystery shopping. We contacted auto transport companies posing as customers to gather pricing data and learn how the brokers formulate their prices.
- Site visits. We invited several industry leaders to visit our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, and explain what goes into their pricing. We then compared their answers to information we independently obtained to verify accuracy.
- Annual calendar. We repeat this process every year and save our data so that we can compare trends over time.
Other car shipping picks
SGT not quite what you’re looking for? Check out our reviews of some other car shipping companies that have affordable prices and score well with customers: