Our top pick: This year, Sherpa Auto Transport wins our top spot. The car shipping company offers some pretty competitive pricing, delivers unparalleled customer service (and free car washes), and even promises to cover any cost increase within $300 with their Price Lock Promise. In short, Sherpa Auto Transport is doing everything right.
The 5 Best Car Shipping Companies of 2023
The 5 best car shipping companies
- : Best overall
- : Flexible quotes
- : Guaranteed rates
- : Lowest pricing
- : Customer favorite
Compare car shipping companies
Average open transport quote
10+ years experience
Extra insurance coverage
What should you look for in a car shipping company?
There are lots of things that you should look for in a car shipping company:
- Low prices. Avoid overpaying by taking the extra time to compare multiple quotes. Beware of pricing that seems too good to be true, though.
- Guaranteed quotes. We’ve often seen car shipping prices go up about 25% between the initial estimate and the final price. So consider it a green flag if a company guarantees even a portion of your shipping quote.
- Years of experience. Longevity is generally a huge trust signal in the auto transport industry. So we recommend looking for a car transport company that’s been around for a while.
- Extra insurance. Accidents are rare—but in logistics, anything can happen. The best car shipping companies will offer you more than a bare-bones insurance policy.
- Customer reviews. We take customer reviews pretty seriously at Move.org, and though we understand reviews are subjective, we generally feel safe using a shipping service that has above-average customer reviews of at least 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Sherpa Auto Transport—Best overall
This year, Sherpa Auto Transport takes our top spot as the best car shipping company. Low pricing aside, the auto transport broker now offers its customers a Price Lock Promise. That means it’ll cover any price increase up to $300—and in an industry where final prices are often 25% higher than the original quote, you could be saving yourself the headache of a last minute payment during your move by choosing Sherpa.
And as if that’s not enough, the broker is famous for its unmatched customer service and free car washes. It even puts each potential carrier through an exhaustive background check to ensure you get the best drivers. In sum, Sherpa Auto Transport is not afraid to innovate and challenge the status quo—which has, in turn, made them one of the best companies in the industry.
What sets Sherpa Auto Transport apart?
The Price Lock Promise
While Sherpa has an impressive online quote calculator, it’s the Price Lock Promise that really sells its customers. With the Price Lock Promise, customers can rest easy knowing that Sherpa will cover up to $300 in potential price increases. And if you’ve ever received a car shipping quote before, you know it’s not uncommon for your final price to be up to 25% higher than your initial quote. This is a big deal—especially because we don’t see any of Sherpa’s competitors offering something similar.
Excellent carrier vetting
Hiring the best drivers is one of Sherpa Auto Transport’s priorities. Between reviewing publicly available government and transportation records, and analyzing driver performance, Sherpa makes sure to avoid cutting any corners. Plus, they actively maintain a “do not use” list of carriers who provide negative customer experiences. And Sherpa requires all of its carriers to add them as a policy holder on their insurance policies to make it easier for customers to file a claim if something happens to your vehicle in transit.
Sherpa prides itself on delivering exceptional customer service. Customers consistently rave about the Price Lock Promise, professional customer service reps, and free car washes—offers that many other companies are now trying to emulate.
But what we really appreciate is that many of the company’s innovations come straight from the company’s owner, who understands that a positive customer experience is the most important part. And as a result, Sherpa has maintained an average customer review rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars for the last 2 years.
Like what you see?
There’s a lot to like about AmeriFreight. Customers give the car shipping company an average review rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars. Plus, it's available in all 50 states. AmeriFreight even has military discounts. Oh yeah, and it offers some of the lowest pricing for larger vehicles of any company on this list.
AmeriFreight is another auto transporter that carefully vets all of its drivers and maintains a “do not use” list for low-quality drivers. But it offers a cherry on top that other companies don’t: a gap coverage plan that lets you take two days to look for damage and pays up to $2,000 toward your deductible if you need to file a claim.
Ultimately, the company has given customers a safe shipping experience for more than 17 years and it’s clear that’s a promise they’ll continue to deliver on for many more years to come.
What sets AmeriFreight apart?
Low prices (and lots of options)
AmeriFreight has three car shipping pricing options that help you fine-tune your shipment. The lone downside is that it can be confusing to know which one you need. Thankfully, we’re about to clear that up for you:
- Economy Saver Rate. This is the best option if you’re determined to get the lowest price (even if it takes a month). AmeriFreight lets thousands of carriers bid on your shipment for several weeks. It starts with a super low rate and gradually increases the amount until an affordable driver comes along.
- First Class Rate. This is the best option if you need your car shipped fast. AmeriFreight can guarantee your quote if you need the job done within 24 hours. Since car shipping costs notoriously rise upwards of 25% by the time your final bill arrives, this guaranteed option can save you hundreds of dollars on the average shipment. However, it’s also likely to be your most expensive option (rush jobs don’t come cheap).
- Priority Preferred Rate. This is the best option if you don’t need to ship your car immediately but also can’t wait several weeks for the lowest possible price. It’s the way most car shipping companies estimate your costs. You give AmeriFreight the details of your shipment, and it lets the carriers bid against each other to drive down the price. When a few days have passed, AmeriFreight picks the lowest-priced shipping option.
AmeriFreight puts each of its carriers through a rigorous vetting process. The company’s five-pronged approach weeds out the bad drivers so you end up with a car carrier that will keep your car safe on the road:
- License and registration. AmeriFreight does a background check on every carrier to ensure your drivers are appropriately licensed and registered with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Interstate authority. Since many drivers can only transport cars within a single state, AmeriFreight verifies that carriers crossing state lines have the appropriate interstate authority.
- Insurance. AmeriFreight won’t use a carrier unless it meets minimum liability insurance requirements. While the federal government requires carriers to have at least $750,000 in coverage, AmeriFreight says that most of its drivers are in the neighborhood of $1 million–$2 million.
- Driver rating. AmeriFreight uses only those carriers with a rating of at least 95 percent on Central Dispatch.
“Do not use” list. A bad apple occasionally sneaks through even though AmeriFreight carefully vets its carriers. When that happens, AmeriFreight tosses it faster than you can say, “Annie ate eight Arctic apples.” The company keeps an internal “do not use” list for rotten carriers to make sure you work with only the best drivers.
AmeriFreight has a gap insurance coverage plan that is next level. For $50–$100, you get up to $2,000 towards your insurance deductible (if the carrier’s insurance won’t pay)—and a 48-hour window to look for damage to your vehicle. Since most companies require you to document damage at the time of delivery or forever hold your peace, the two extra days afforded by the gap coverage is incredible.
For example, if you don’t find damage until the next day because your car gets delivered at night, you can still file a claim. The gap coverage can even be applied toward a rental vehicle if there’s a significant delay in your delivery timeline.
AmeriFreight’s gap coverage lets you take 48 hours to document any damage to your car. It’s a lifesaver if you can’t identify any problems because your car arrives at night or in bad weather.
Looking for low prices?
American Auto Shipping—Guaranteed rates
American Auto Shipping is impressive. The auto transporter has the best guaranteed quotes in the business: your final price is the same as your initial quote (many companies charge around an extra 25%). You also don’t have to pay a deposit. And while accidents rarely happen, American Auto Shipping chips in $500 toward your deductible if you need to file an insurance claim. Put it all together, and this is one of the best car shipping companies we’ve seen.
What sets American Auto Shipping apart?
American Auto Shipping has one of the rarest features in the car shipping industry: guaranteed pricing. While your initial quote often balloons about 25% with many other transport companies, it doesn’t budge a penny with American Auto Shipping. Your estimate on day one is the same number that shows up on your final bill.
There are two exceptions:
- 24-hour limit. You have 24 hours to accept American Auto Shipping’s price. Any longer than that, and you’ll need to start over.
- Details matter. If you give America Auto Shipping the wrong information, it’s not responsible for changes in the price. This rarely comes into play, but you want to make sure you provide the transport broker with the accurate year, make, and model of your vehicle. If the truck driver shows up and your car is bigger or heavier than what you initially said, it’s going to cost more.
American Auto Shipping’s prices seem high because it gives your final price up front. Many other companies suck you in with a low quote—and then raise your rates.
American Auto Shipping has some of the best insurance coverage in the biz. While accidents are rare, sometimes things can go wrong. Maybe the driver gets in an accident or road debris dents your car. If you end up needing to file an insurance claim, American Auto Shipping will pay up to $500 towards your deductible.
Positive customer reviews
American Auto Shipping has an average customer service rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars. That’s saying something for a company that’s been around for more than 20 years. Here are just a few of the reasons behind American Auto Shipping’s top-notch reviews:
- Instant online quotes. You can do all your shopping with American Auto Shipping online. In just three minutes, you can get a guaranteed price without ever having to check your email or call a customer service rep.
- Expedited pickup. You get the best car shipping prices if you place your reservation about two weeks in advance. But you don’t always have that much time to wait.
If you must start a new job or move into your new place by a specific date, American Auto Shipping can speed up your service. It picks up most vehicles within five days, but you can pay an extra $200 to have the driver load your car within two days.
If time is tight, you can pay $500 to take care of it in 24 hours. You could easily pay twice as much if you called another company out of the blue and asked for next-day pickup.
- No deposit. Remember how we said that some companies give you a low starter rate but then saddle you with a more expensive bill? They also often make you pay a deposit and then keep the money if you cancel because you’re upset about the price changes.
But American Auto Shipping doesn’t ask for a deposit. Even if the company asked for a deposit, the guaranteed pricing means you wouldn’t have any big surprises. But American Auto Shipping knows it’s a pain to pay up front, so the broker waives your deposit. It’s another example of a little thing that really matters.
We like American Auto Shipping, but we’re surprised that we could find only about 2,000 customer reviews. For a company that’s been around 20-plus years, we’d expect at least 10 times that many. It may not be the biggest red flag, but it’s definitely something to pay attention to.
Looking for guaranteed rates that don’t go up?
Ship A Car Direct—Lowest pricing
Ship A Car Direct has quickly risen to the top of the industry. Aside from a comprehensive carrier vetting process (to make sure you’re always getting the best drivers), Ship A Car Direct now offers some of the lowest car shipping prices around. How low? Well, its pricing comes in around 11% lower than the industry average—which means around $130 in savings for the average customer. And pricing is even better for customers shipping with enclosed transport, which offers even more protection for your vehicle against damage in transit. Not to worry though, Ship A Car Direct also provides a damage-free guarantee worth up to $500. Not bad at all.
What sets Ship A Car Direct apart?
Ship A Car Direct scrutinizes potential truck drivers to make sure your vehicle is in safe hands. The auto shipper operates with a “hire slow, fire fast” mentality, which means Ship A Car Direct takes its time hiring the best drivers and immediately cuts ties with those that produce negative experiences for its customers. With this method, you can rest easy knowing that the company works hard to protect you against disreputable drivers.
In the auto transport industry, it’s not uncommon for a company to offer zero additional insurance for their customers, putting most of the liability on the carriers. But that’s not the case with Ship A Car Direct. The broker is so confident in the quality of their drivers that it offers a damage-free guarantee of up to $500 towards your insurance deductible in the unlikely event your car experiences damage during transit.
Excellent customer reviews
Ship A Car Direct receives an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars for customer service across multiple platforms, and for good reason. Customers usually refer to fast and helpful customer service in their reviews, and many negative reviews are even followed up by responses from the company’s owner. Ship A Car Direct cares for their customers, and their customer reviews reflect that.
Impressed by the damage-free guarantee?
Montway Auto Transport—Customer favorite
Montway Auto Transport has been on our top five list for some time, and it consistently proves that it belongs there. With Montway, you know you’ll be getting some of the lowest prices in the industry, and you won’t even have to worry about up-front payments. It’s the innovator of an online price calculator that many of its competitors now use, and they even offer something many cannot: guaranteed pick up dates . . . which means you don’t have to fret about last minute changes to your travel plans.
What sets Montway apart?
Guaranteed pickup dates
A service that most other companies don’t offer, guaranteed pickup is something Montway offers to each one of its customers—at an extra price. That said, having control over your move timeline is an immense luxury in this industry, as prices and pickup/delivery dates are often subject to change. But with Montway, you can feel confident that your vehicle will be picked up on the day of your choosing, so you can keep your travel itinerary intact.
Although Montway cannot guarantee GPS tracking for every shipment (because drivers must first agree to be tracked), it does its best to find compliant drivers for each customer. This effort is more than most companies are willing to exert, and as a result GPS tracking is not the easiest service in the industry to come by.
Online chat availability
Montway has one of the most user-friendly online chat experiences around, because instead of connecting you to a bot, you’re likely to reach a real person within 60 seconds. From there, knowledgeable customer service reps can help you get a quote, respond to inquiries about existing quotes or orders, and answer any other questions you may have.
Looking for low prices from an industry legacy?
The best of the rest
- : Free rental car
- : Online marketplace
Easy Auto Ship—Free rental car
Easy Auto Ship gives customers a free rental car if their vehicles don’t arrive within two weeks. The company fully guarantees its phone quotes (prices may change if you reserve online), kicks in an extra $100,000 insurance coverage, and gets excellent customer reviews. Easy Auto Ship doesn’t even charge you until it assigns a carrier.
On the downside, the website is a hot mess. A pop-up ad gets in your way no matter where you seem to go, and the “live chat” is really just a way to start an email dialogue. But those are small details, and this is a company with big aspirations. We wouldn’t be surprised to see Easy Auto Ship climb the rankings in future years.
Want a free rental car if your vehicle arrives late?
uShip isn’t a transport broker as much as it is an online marketplace where you can find truck drivers. That makes it different from any other company on this list. uShip gives you control over your pricing and lets you see each carrier’s driving history. It also reimburses you up to $500 if there’s an accident and is available in all 50 states. While uShip’s prices aren’t guaranteed, the company’s rates are lower than they’ve ever been. It takes a minute to learn how to use uShip’s website, but it’s worth the effort more often than not.
Looking for control over your price?
What is the best company to ship a car?
Sherpa Auto Transport is our number one car shipping company, but each of these transport brokers brings something special to the table:
- Sherpa Auto Transport. Our best all-around company. Sherpa has made great strides to deserve its spot at the top of the mountain.
- AmeriFreight. Flexible pricing options. And one of those options includes guaranteed pricing.
- American Auto Shipping. Completely guaranteed rates. Need we say more?
- Ship A Car Direct. Lowest industry pricing. The average customer saves around $130, and they even offer a $500 damage-free guarantee.
- Montway Auto Transport. The customer favorite. Low prices, no up-front payments, and guaranteed pickup availability are some of its most popular features.
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
- Compare quotes. We collected nearly 700 quotes from 10 different companies. The car shipping quotes included prices for a motorcycle, car, SUV, and truck across 11 distances on both open and enclosed transport.
- Mystery shopping. We contacted auto transport companies posing as customers to gather pricing data and learn how the brokers formulate their prices.
- Site visits. We invited several industry leaders to visit our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, and explain what goes into their pricing. We then compared their answers to information we independently obtained to verify accuracy.
- Annual calendar. We repeat this process every year and save our data so that we can compare trends over time.
Car shipping FAQ
Does Bargain Auto Transport have cheap car shipping?
Yes, Bargain Auto Transport has cheap car shipping. The shipping service has some of the lowest rates in the business because it gives truck drivers several weeks to bid on your job. Just be aware that Bargain Auto Transport charges a $100 listing fee to access its low car transport rates.
Is enclosed transport the cheapest way to transport my motorcycle?
No, enclosed transport isn’t the cheapest way to transport your motorcycle. It costs more to use an enclosed carrier, but enclosed shipping also protects your bike from bad weather and road debris. Open transport is much cheaper, but it leaves your motorcycle exposed to the elements.
What is the best auto transport company?
The best auto transport company is Sherpa Auto Transport, according to Move.org. The car shipping service offers competitive rates for open and enclosed auto transport, has excellent customer reviews, and even offers a Price Lock Promise up to $300. Move.org gives the transport company a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Does uShip have vehicle shipping?
Yes, uShip has vehicle shipping. In addition to transporting items like furniture, uShip can help you find an affordable and highly rated auto shipping company to meet your local and long-distance vehicle transportation needs. uShip’s open carrier rates are about 25% cheaper than its enclosed transport prices.
What’s the cheapest auto transport company?
The cheapest auto transport company is Ship A Car Direct, according to Move.org. The car transport company’s average price of $981 to ship a car on an open car carrier is about 11% cheaper than the vehicle shipping industry average.
What should I look for in an auto transporter?
You should look for several things in an auto transporter, including low prices, good customer service, and supplemental insurance. Keep your eye on any car transport company that has been around for 10 years or longer (staying power is a big deal in the transportation service industry).
Does it cost extra for a car shipper to transport an inoperable vehicle?
Yes, it typically costs extra for a car shipping to transport an inoperable vehicle. Fee amounts can vary, but it’s not uncommon to pay an additional $100–$150 if your car doesn’t start.
What should I look for in a car delivery service?
You should look for several things in a car delivery service, including low prices, guaranteed quotes, and insurance coverage options.
What is the difference between car shipping and auto transport?
Car shipping and auto transport are synonyms that refer to shipping a vehicle from one location to another.
Can I ship my car overseas?
Yes, you can ship your car overseas. You'll typically need to provide a photo ID, proof of ownership, and vehicle registration before an auto transport company will send your car to another country.
Where are the best tips for preparing to ship your car?
The best tips for preparing to ship your car include emptying it of personal belongings and making sure the gas tank isn't more than one-quarter full. The size and weight of your vehicle affect the price to ship a car, so the less it weighs, the less you pay.