Extra Space Storage isn’t just one of our best self-storage companies—it’s our #1 pick. The storage unit company gets rave reviews, has top-notch security, and is easy to find. There’s really only one noteworthy drawback: it’s expensive. If cost is your biggest concern, you may want to look elsewhere. But there’s something to be said for the fact that customers know about Extra Space Storage’s high prices and give it near-perfect reviews anyway.
2021 Extra Space Storage Review
How much does Extra Space Storage cost?
Extra Space Storage costs approximately $220 per month (or about 20% higher than the industry average). Prices range from around $120 for a small traditional unit to $390 for a large climate-controlled space. Vehicle storage costs run about $320 per month. Prices vary widely depending on availability, location, and online sales, so we recommend contacting Extra Space Storage for quotes at a nearby location.
Extra Space Storage pricing
Storage unit size
Standard storage unit
Climate-controlled storage unit
|Small (5 x 5–5 x 10 ft.)||$120||$120|
|Medium (5 x 15–10 x 10 ft.)||$210||$240|
|Large (10 x 15–10 x 30 ft.)||$350||$390|
Data as of 2/23/21. Prices include online estimates for storage unit costs, insurance, and taxes. Size ranges, offers, and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
Extra Space Storage cost factors
Several factors affect the cost of Extra Space Storage units:
- Type of storage. Climate-controlled storage units are perfect for storing sensitive items like books, electronics, and furniture. The specialized storage spaces often cost 20–50% more than standard units. However, our analysis of more than 200 Extra Space Storage quotes shows you can usually get climate-controlled units for the same price if you place your order online.
- In-store vs. online orders. It’s more expensive to reserve a unit in the store. You can typically save about $60 per month (or $720 per year) simply by placing your Extra Space Storage order online. That money comes in handy if your remodel lasts longer than anticipated or your new home doesn’t close on time.
- Availability. Prices can change daily depending on how many units are available. Locations with only a few available units cost more than facilities with lots of unrented storage spaces, so be sure to compare quotes from a few different locations to find the best price.
- Fees. Extra Space Storage charges a one-time administrative fee of $24. It also requires insurance (starting at $11 per month). It adds up to about $35 (not including tax).
- Discounts. New customers can get up to one month free (not including insurance costs or administrative fees).
Want to save hundreds of dollars each year by ordering online?
Extra Space Storage coverage options
Extra Space Storage has insurance coverage options that range from $11–$47 per month. The company’s policy provides anywhere from $2,000–$10,000 of insurance that protects your belongings against fire damage, water damage, burglary, and “a variety of accidental circumstances.”1 Consult your local Extra Space Storage for additional details.
You can also use your homeowners insurance but must sign a waiver saying that you’ve declined to use Extra Space Storage’s insurance. Since claims filed on your homeowners insurance can cause your rates to go up, it’s worth running through the pros and cons with your insurance agent before moving forward.
Note: Extra Space Storage’s policy does not cover vehicles.
Extra Space Storage’s insurance protects your belongings when you transport them to and from the storage facility (within a 50-mile radius).
Extra Space Storage features and services
Extra Space Storage sizes
Extra Space Storage has at least eight sizes of storage units. The company’s standard storage spaces range from 25–300 square feet, and its outdoor storage units for vehicles have anywhere from 200–300 square feet.
Extra Space Storage sizes
Common dimensions (feet)
|Small||5 x 5—5 x 10||25–50||Less than 1 room|
|Medium||5 x 15–10 x 15||75–150||1–3 rooms|
|Large||10 x 20–10 x 30||200–300||3–5 rooms|
|Vehicle||10 x 20–10 x 30||200–300||Compact car to RV|
Sizes, dimensions, and details are estimates and may vary by location.
Storage units come in lots of different sizes. Check out the Move.org storage unit size guide to narrow down your options.
Extra Space Storage isn’t an RV park—but it does have RV parking storage options. The company’s vehicle storage costs approximately $320 per month and features both indoor and outdoor storage. It’s expensive, but there are many reasons to consider RV storage:
- Limited space at home. Sure, you’ve got a top-of-the-line oversized RV—but where do you park it? If it doesn’t fit in your driveway, a storage unit may be one of your only options.
- Neighborhood rules. Some neighborhoods prohibit RV parking. In other instances, homeowners associations allow RVs but charge hefty fees. Sometimes a storage unit is cheaper.
No bad weather. You never have to worry about rain or damaging hail if you park your RV in an indoor or covered storage unit.
- Vacation shortcuts. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? Parking your RV at a nearby Extra Space Storage location means you save on gas (and traffic) and have convenient access anytime you’re in the neighborhood.
- Extra security. You’ve probably already got a doorbell camera keeping an eye on your RV. But Extra Space Storage provides even more protection. In addition to 24-hour video surveillance, it also has on-site managers, electronic gate access, and storage unit alarms.
Extra Space Storage has small, medium, and large climate-controlled units. These specialized storage spaces monitor the temperature and humidity levels inside your unit to prevent damage. While these units are technically more expensive, our analysis of more than 200 quotes suggests you can get them for the same price as regular units by ordering online.
In case you’re wondering, that’s a savings of more than $800 per year.
Extra Space Storage recommends climate control for the following items:2
- Books and newspapers
- Cassettes and VHS tapes
- CDs and DVDs
- Film reels and negatives
- Furniture (wooden, leather, and upholstered)
- Gaming systems
- Musical instruments
Why we recommend Extra Space Storage
Extra Space Storage is easy to find
Extra Space Storage has more than 1,000,000 storage units in nearly 2,000 facilities. That’s a lot. We’ve seen some companies with fewer than 300 facilities, while the industry average is about 1,200 facilities. No matter which way you slice it, Extra Space Storage is easy to find.
Customers love it
Extra Space Storage is one of the most popular self-storage companies in the country. Customers routinely praise the company’s cleanliness and friendly managers. Its average customer review score of 4.5 stars is a full star higher than the industry average. And people give positive reviews even though Extra Space Storage costs about 20% more than the industry average. Put it all together, and it suggests customers think Extra Space Storage is worth every penny.
Extra Space Storage protects its units with things like individually alarmed units, 24-hour video surveillance, and password-protected electronic gates. The storage company even has resident managers at some of its facilities that live on-site (they can quickly call 911 if there’s a burglary or a fire breaks out).
Extra Space Storage FAQ
How much is the Extra Space Storage web rate?
The Extra Space Storage web rate (or online pricing) is approximately $250 per month—or $60 cheaper than reserving a storage space at a physical location.
What stands out in Extra Space Storage reviews?
Facility cleanliness and staff helpfulness stand out in Extra Space Storage reviews. Customers routinely reward the storage company with outstanding reviews.
How many Extra Space Storage units are there?
There are approximately 1,010,000 Extra Space Storage units at nearly 2,000 locations across the country. Its nationwide availability is one of the reasons Extra Space Storage is Move.org’s top storage company.
Is a storage unit as big as a shed?
Some storage units are as big as a shed. Medium-sized sheds typically have anywhere from 90–120 square feet of storage space, and storage units range in size from 25–300 square feet.
Does Home Depot have rental trucks?
Yes, Home Depot has rental trucks. For small local moves, the company has its own moving trucks. For larger long-distance moves, the company uses Penske Truck Rental vehicles.
How much is an Extra Space Storage rental?
An Extra Space Storage rental is approximately $220 per month. Costs range from about $120 for a small standard storage space to nearly $400 for a large climate-controlled storage unit.
Does Extra Space Storage charge a late fee?
Yes, Extra Space Storage charges a late fee if you don’t pay rent on time. The company provides a five-day grace period before charging a late fee based on your state’s self-storage laws.
We recommend Extra Space Storage for all of your storage needs. It takes the top spot on our list of the best self-storage companies because it is dedicated to security, is widely available, and gets high customer praise. Extra Space Storage’s main weakness is price—its units cost about 20% more than the industry average. But even then, glowing customer reviews suggest that people think Extra Space Storage is worth the cost.
Other self-storage picks
Looking for a cheaper self-storage company? Check out our reviews of some more affordable options: