Choosing the right company for your move can be a daunting task, especially if you’re not sure where to start. Professional movers like International Van Lines are the best choice if you’re looking for a more hands-off, streamlined moving experience. But even if you don’t have a few extra thousand dollars laying around (or if you only need help with some of the more difficult parts of the move), we can still help you determine the best moving solution for your family:
The Best Moving Companies of 2022
- : Best professional mover
- : Best moving container company
- : Best moving truck rental company
- : Best car shipping company
- : Best moving labor company
What should you look for in a moving company?
If you’re looking for a full range of services from packing and loading to delivery, professional moving companies are the right choice. Or maybe you can handle the packing, but you’d pay a little extra to avoid driving a moving truck cross country—then a container mover is your best fit. And if you’re looking for the most cost-effective and DIY approach, moving truck rentals are your friend.
Car shipping and moving labor companies can also supplement cheaper, DIY options for those who may not be able to afford a professional moving company but still want assistance transporting a vehicle or packing and loading a moving truck.
International Van Lines—Best professional moving company
Professional moving companies offer the best support for customers who are looking for a full-service moving company—from packing and loading to delivery at their new home. These types of companies are a great choice if you:
- Struggle with coordinating many details all at once
- Worry about how to transport extremely heavy or high-value furniture
- Don’t mind paying more for the most efficient and hands-off moving solution
International Van Lines won our top spot for best professional moving company. IVL is a moving broker and carrier that boasts over 3,000 global partners. IVL can easily help you move from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Jaipur, India, if you need to.
From crane lifts and piano transport to full-service packing and vehicle hauling, International Van Lines can handle all aspects of your move. Additional highlights include easy online and over-the-phone moving quotes, both short- and long-term storage options, and junk and debris removal.
IVL also offers the most transparent pricing and unmatched customer service, which is why this van line gets our vote for the best interstate moving company.
UPack—Best container moving company
DIY movers love container moving companies because they offer the flexibility to pack and load your own belongings the way you want and on your own time—without having to worry about transporting them from point A to B. They can even double as flexible, on-site storage solutions (say, for home renovation projects). This option’s for you if you:
- Are looking for a cost-efficient way to move your goods
- Want full control over your packing and moving timeline
- Are not sure whether you’ll need storage
Our choice for the best container moving company is U-Pack. We’ve compiled over 100 quotes from seven moving companies and can confirm: U-Pack is the most affordable container mover. Plus, with U-Pack’s pay-for-what-you-use policy, you can be sure you’ll be getting the best prices.
While the company may not be able to assist you with your local, short-distance moves, we still found that U-Pack’s pricing was 15% cheaper than its competitors on average—which is hard to find with long-distance movers. No wonder U-Pack is our favorite moving container company.
Penske—Best truck rental company
Of all the DIY options for moving, renting a truck will save you the most money—but you’ll have to handle loading and driving the truck yourself. Choosing a truck rental company might be a good idea if you:
- Want to save the most money on labor and transportation costs
- Need a specific-sized truck
- Need to hitch and tow your vehicle yourself
Our choice for the best truck rental company is Penske. For long-distance DIYers that need large trucks on a budget, Penske makes the most sense. Plus, it offers unlimited mileage for one-way rentals, reliable reservations with locations throughout the country, and plenty of discounts to choose from.
A clear customer favorite, Penske is known for delivering world-class customer service while making efforts to reduce its ecological impact—which makes it one of our top truck rental companies.
Montway Auto Transport—Best car shipping company
If you’ve already got a plan for moving your household belongings but you’re not sure how to move your vehicle, we recommend hiring a car shipping company. A good car shipper can eliminate the headache of coordinating the transport yourself. Car shipping may be something to consider if you:
- Want to prevent damage to your vehicle by towing it yourself
- Don’t want to purchase additional transit insurance
- Can’t spend several days driving to your new home
- Want to avoid wear and tear on your vehicle from driving
Our choice for the best car shipping company is Montway Auto Transport. Aside from some of the lowest car shipping prices in the industry, Montway offers guaranteed pickup dates, GPS tracking, and comprehensive carrier vetting—so you know your vehicle is always in good hands.
Montway’s numerous positive reviews are backed by its ability to provide pricing that is 5% lower than the industry average, without compromising top-rate customer service (they’re even known to respond to negative reviews). It is no surprise, then, why it earns our top spot for the best car shipping companies.
HireAHelper—Best moving labor company
Sometimes the most stressful part of the move is simply trying to gather the manpower to pack all your belongings and load them into a moving truck. Moving labor companies can help with that. Professional moving laborers work fast and let you spend your energy organizing instead of lifting heavy furniture and boxes. Hiring moving labor is a great option if you:
- Need to minimize the physical toll moving takes on your body
- Want to reduce damage to your things
- Want to save time and energy on move day
Our choice for the best moving labor company is Hire A Helper. With the most nationwide availability, HireAHelper is the best company to help you easily find licensed and insured movers who can help you with packing, loading a truck, and even disassembling and reassembling your furniture.
Although a bit more expensive than their competition, HireAHelper consistently delivers competitive instant quotes and satisfied customers.
Other moving services and companies we recommend
Ultimately, choosing the right moving company for your move will depend on what services you really need—and which ones you really don’t.
- International Van Lines: If you can afford the convenience of a professional mover, we recommend IVL.
- U-Pack Containers: If you want to cut costs—but still don’t want to drive a moving truck yourself—container movers are for you. U-Pack’s pay-for-what-you-use policy goes easy on your budget, too.
- Penske Truck Rentals: If you’re moving on a budget, we suggest renting a moving truck—especially if you’re moving long distance.
- Montway Auto Transport: Don’t want the wear and tear of driving your car to your new home? Hire Montway to ship your vehicle for you.
- HireAHelper: If you’re moving with a container or a truck rental but you still need help packing and loading, look to Hire a Helper to lend a hand.
Move.org evaluates and identifies the moving industry’s best moving services using a fivefold research approach:
- Compare pricing transparency. We gather quotes, check for binding estimates, and read customer reviews about pricing to ensure each moving company’s prices are trustworthy.
- Review accreditation. We check every company’s records in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s database to confirm companies are properly authorized to transport household goods.
- Mystery shopping. We review every company’s website, pose as customers in calls to companies, and read customer reviews to analyze every company’s moving services, transit protection, and customer service. We also interview actual customers to learn how their moves went from start to finish.
- Site visits. We invite moving companies to our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, to share data and expertise. We verify the information they provide by comparing it to data gathered through independent research and interviews with other movers.
- Regular review. We routinely repeat this process to update our recommendations to reflect current data and trends. We also revise each review annually and make updates throughout the year.
Best moving companies FAQ
Do van lines offer the best long-distance moving services?
Yes, typically van lines (or professional moving companies) offer the best and widest range of long-distance moving services. Other moving companies can handle interstate moves, but van lines are known for providing hands-off service from start to finish. If you don’t want to worry about loading and unloading the moving truck or driving it to your new home, a professional long distance moving company may be the right option for you.
Can I hire a professional moving company as a local mover?
Yes, you can hire a professional mover (or van line) for any local moving service. Professional movers are equipped to handle moves of practically any size or distance. However, you may still find better rates with local professional movers. It’s always best to get more than one quote!
How much does it cost to hire a long-distance moving company?
It normally costs between $2000 and $10,000 to hire a professional moving company for long distance moves. This cost can vary depending on the size of your home (and the things you plan to move), where you’re moving to, and the time of year. Long-distance moves can be a real headache, and a professional mover can help ease the stress.
What is the most reputable moving company?
Our choice for the most reputable moving company is International Van Lines if you’re looking for professional moving help for long distances. We also recommend U-Pack for container moving, Penske for truck rentals, Montway Auto Transport for shipping vehicles, and HireAHelper for moving labor assistance.
How do I find the best moving company?
You can find the best moving company by figuring out exactly what you need and researching the companies offering the best services and prices. For example, if you have a higher budget and don’t want to do as much work, a van line (or professional mover) might be for you. If you need to save as much as possible, though, you may want to choose a more inexpensive, DIY option.
Who is the best state-to-state mover?
The best state-to-state mover is International Van Lines. IVL offers the most comprehensive range of services (from packing and loading to delivery), the highest customer ratings, and transparent pricing. While there are several excellent companies to choose from, we believe IVL is the all-around best choice for state-to-state moves.