Save money by connecting with our free moving concierge to help set up your utilities, internet, movers, & more!
JK Moving Services Review 2022
JK Moving Services has physical locations in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC, and most of the services the company provides with its own staff and facilities are restricted to these areas. Because of this limitation, JK operates more like a broker than a carrier for customers who require the following services:
- Long-distance moves
- International moves
- Storage outside of Maryland, Virginia, and DC
If you hire JK for a long-distance move, your belongings might actually be packed and delivered by a different moving company that JK has partnered with. This also applies to storage services outside of its coverage area.
To make sure these third-party services are up to JK’s standards, the company assigns a move coordinator to each of its customers. Your JK move coordinator will be with you every step of the way, giving you access to all of JK’s industry experience, ensuring you aren’t mistreated by your carrier, and helping you navigate every part of the moving process.
Keep reading to learn more about JK Moving Services and why we recommend it.
Compare JK Moving Services to our favorite moving companies.
Table of contents
What to know about JK Moving Services
Now that we’ve talked about how JK Moving Services works and some of its pricing information, let’s highlight the features that set JK apart from most other moving companies.
It has an impressive resume
Like we said earlier, JK Moving Services has handled moves for US presidents, Fortune 500 companies, and other illustrious entities,1 so you know it provides some of the best service around.
On top of these credentials, JK has also won the American Moving and Storage Association Fleet Safety Award several times in the last 10 years.
To win this award, a company has to have fewer accidents per mile of travel (the total distance driven by every truck in its fleet) than its peers, so these awards mean your stuff is as safe as possible with JK.
JK’s customer reviews
Despite these achievements, customer reviews of JK Moving Services are a little polarized. They’re either immensely positive, with customers praising JK’s customer service, responsiveness, prices, and care, or very negative, with customers complaining about any or all of these same things.
Customer reviews are important, but you should always take them with a grain of salt and pay attention to what the majority is saying to get the most accurate idea of how a company treats its customers. Though there are a considerable number of negative reviews of JK, the positive reviews greatly outnumber them.
Many moving companies are stuck in the ‘90s, or worse, and relatively few have well-built websites that give you the information you need to make an informed hiring decision. A company could have the best services money can buy, but if it has a bad website with insufficient information, you might never know.
With JK you get the best of both worlds: first-rate service and an interactive, user-friendly website where you can easily plan your move and find answers to any questions you may have along the way.
JK’s mobile app
JK actually takes this high-tech accessibility to the next level with an app you can download for your tablet or smartphone. Through JK’s app, you can schedule your move, review and accept estimates, and communicate with your moving specialist.
The best part is that JK’s app allows you to complete your in-home estimate virtually.2 Instead of scheduling an appointment with an estimator who comes to your house, you can do a virtual tour of your home, during which the app’s AI will fill out an inventory of your belongings.
This means you can get an accurate estimate without planning around an estimator’s schedule. While some other movers are starting to integrate technology like this into their processes, few can hold a candle to the convenience of JK’s app.
It's committed to sustainability
If preserving the environment is important to you, then JK’s commitment to sustainability make it a great option for your move.
Since moving usually involves driving hundreds (if not thousands) of miles in a semitruck with a heavy load in tow, most moves require a lot of fuel—which isn’t great for the environment. That’s why JK has integrated Tesla semis into its fleet.3
These trucks are fully electric, so they don’t require diesel fuel like normal semis, and they’re much better for the planet.
While JK hasn’t completely switched over to these electric semis, it does what it can to reduce the fuel consumption and emissions of its standard semis by routinely optimizing and replacing them.4
On top of minimizing the environmental impact of its fleet, JK also uses sustainable moving products—such as packing blankets made of recycled fabric—for its moves, and it recycles or reuses all of the packing materials that it can.
How does JK Moving Services compare to other moving companies?
JK's moving services are among the best, and its high-tech app and commitment to sustainability are second-to-none. However, the company's limited availability for storage and local moves do put it behind its competitors for these services.
Local and long-distance moves
International Van Lines
|Get a Quote|
American Van Lines
|Get a Quote|
Allied Van Lines
|Get a Quote|
North American Van Lines
|Get a Quote|
JK Moving Services
Yes (in some areas)
Yes (limited availability for local moves)
|Get a Quote|
How much does JK Moving Services cost?
JK Moving Services doesn’t disclose prices for its services online, which isn’t uncommon; most full-service moving companies don’t. Before you see pricing, you have to submit a detailed request for a quote. JK asks you to provide your contact info, your current address, the address you’re moving to, and the size of both homes.
After you submit this online form, someone from JK will contact you to walk you through the estimate process. This includes an in-home estimate, which you can complete with a JK representative in person or virtually using JK’s app.
While these requirements may seem like a pain in the neck, they ensure that any price you see is tailored to your move, which can help you budget accurately.
JK’s cost factors
Though JK doesn’t share specific pricing on its site, it does list the factors that can affect what you’ll pay:
- The size of your furniture
- How far you’re moving
- The entire weight of your shipment
- How many crew members and trucks your move will require
- Add-on services
Ready to see what JK can offer you?
Since JK doesn’t list prices online, you can’t know for sure how much your move will cost until you get your quote.
JK Moving Services at a glance
US DOT #
Better Business Bureau rating
Data as of 11/29/2021.
JK’s features and services
- Local moves (only in Maryland, Virginia, and DC)
- Short- and long-term storage
- Long-distance moves
- International moves
- Office moves
- Military moves
- Piano moving
- Auto shipping
JK understands all the ins and outs of a military move, and it’s well-equipped to provide the service you need. But if you don’t find everything you’re looking for with JK, check out our list of the best moving companies for military moves to learn about your other options.
JK Moving Services international services
JK Moving Services is an impressive international moving company. It might not appear in Google searches as often as its competitors, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a high-quality option. JK Moving services can help you move almost anywhere in the world, and it gets rave reviews from customers.
Here are a couple of things that stand out:
- Great customer reviews. JK Moving Services gets some of the highest marks in the industry. Company reviews often include customer praise for things like professional moving crews, self-storage access, and accurate quotes.
- Easy-to-use website. You don’t have to sort through a dozen sub-menus to find answers about using JK Moving Services for your international move. The company’s website is clean and easy to navigate. The mover even includes a helpful international moving FAQ covering topics such as global moving costs, timelines, and restrictions.5
If you’re moving long distance or looking for a secure place to store your belongings, then JK Moving Services is a top-tier moving and storage company that can safely and conveniently provide almost any service you might need. We also recommend JK if you’re moving locally in Virginia, Maryland, or DC.
Time to move?
If you’re ready to see what JK can do for you, download the app or request a quote.
Move.org evaluates and identifies the moving industry’s best full-service movers using a fivefold research approach:
- Compare pricing transparency. We gather quotes, check for binding estimates, and read customer reviews about pricing to ensure each moving company’s prices are trustworthy.
- Review accreditation. We check every company’s records in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s database to confirm companies are properly authorized to transport household goods.
- Mystery shopping. We review every company’s website, pose as customers in calls to companies, and read customer reviews to analyze every company’s moving services, transit protection, and customer service. We also interview actual customers to learn how their moves went from start to finish.
- Site visits. We invite moving companies to our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, to share data and expertise. We verify the information they provide by comparing it to data gathered through independent research and interviews with other movers.
- Regular review. We routinely repeat this process to update our recommendations to reflect current data and trends. We also revise each review annually and make updates throughout the year.
If JK isn’t right for your moving or storage needs, we recommend checking out these other first-class options:
- JK Moving Services, “This Company Has Moved Both Former Presidents Bush — and They Want to Hire Veterans”
- JK Moving Services, “JK Moving Modernizes Moving By Launching Mobile App and Virtual AI Estimating Options to Make Move Experience Easier”
- Business Insider, “Tesla Has a New Customer for Its Electric Semi — Here Are All the Companies That Have Ordered the Big Rig”
- JK Moving Services, “Sustainability”
- JK Moving Services, “International Moving Frequently Asked Questions,” December 16, 2019. Accessed February 22, 2022.