Our top pick: Extra Space Storage consistently delivers good pricing and decent customer service, and with 2,000+ locations, there’s likely one near you.
2023’s Top 5 Self-Storage Companies
- : Best overall
- : Best customer service
- : Most affordable
- : Good security
- : Low prices
Compare self-storage companies
At least 4-star average customer reviews
More than 1,200 locations
What should you look for in a self-storage company?
- Low prices: Cost matters. Look for an affordable self-storage company that won’t break the bank. Our research suggests the average monthly cost for a storage unit is approximately $180.
- Positive reviews: Find a reliable company with strong customer ratings. Low prices don’t mean much if companies charge hidden fees or you have to deal with rude customer service reps.
- Convenient locations: Low prices and solid reviews are useless if you can’t find a nearby facility. We recommend looking for a self-storage business with at least 1,200 locations (the industry average).
- Reliable security: Most traditional storage unit companies have security measures like password-protected gates and alarms to keep your stuff safe. Look for a self-storage facility that has up-to-date security systems, lots of lighting, and well-maintained storage spaces. Check storage company websites for more detailed security offerings.
It’s tough to think about moving or self-storage without thinking about U-Haul, but it doesn’t make our list of top self-storage companies because of its consistently poor customer reviews. If you feel like it’s worth the gamble, read more about U-Haul Self Storage.
Extra Space Storage—Best overall
Extra Space Storage is our #1 self-storage company. It has more than 1,000,000 units at nearly 2,000 locations across the country, so it’s easy to find. Extra Space Storage focuses on transparency with its security features and storage insurance, so you’ll see fewer hidden fees. It even has outdoor units large enough to fit oversized RVs.
Extra Space Storage maintains an average customer rating, landing a 3.5/5 score for customer service, but its price point and availability pick up a lot of slack. In addition, Extra Space offers a moving cost calculator to help you break down cost, moving distance, boxes needed, and recommended storage unit size.
What sets Extra Space Storage apart?
Extra Space Storage has some of the lowest prices in the industry. The average cost for one of their units is $160—nearly $20 less than the national average. While customers have reported more overall negative reviews in the past year, there are some positive reviews that mention transparent pricing without hidden fees.
Comparing storage company customer reviews
Average customer rating
# of locations
|Extra Space Storage|| ||2,000+|
|Public Storage|| ||2,000+|
Extra Space Storage makes it a priority to keep your belongings safe. Security is almost a taboo topic among storage unit companies. Most storage facilities don’t even mention security on their websites, and telephone reps can rarely answer your questions.
All of that’s different with Extra Space Storage. The self-storage company gives customers a full breakdown of security features that serve as huge trust signals:
- Electronic gate access: No one can access an Extra Space Storage unit without a password. Not only is your warehouse storage protected by an electronic gate, but customers have their own passwords.
- On-site resident managers: Most Extra Space Storage locations have an on-site manager who keeps an eye on your storage unit.
- 24-hour video surveillance: Extra Space Storage has multiple cameras at each of its facilities that run 24/7. If someone ever beats the odds and breaks in, Extra Space Storage hands the footage over to the police.
- Alarmed units: There is an alarm on every Extra Space Storage unit. If anyone besides you or the on-site manager tries to get in, they’ll have an unpleasant surprise waiting for them.
- Floor-by-floor security access: Some Extra Space Storage facilities have more than one floor. To keep your belongings safe, the company limits elevator access to each floor.
You can find an Extra Space Storage facility in 41 states across the country. The company has more than 1,000,000 storage units at nearly 2,000 locations. With Extra Space Storage, you get not only the best company but also nationwide availability and 24/7 access.
Want to try Move.org’s #1 storage company?
Public Storage—Customer service
Public Storage is our pick for best customer service. While Public Storage is a little more expensive, it’s a company that keeps its customers happy. With a customer review score of 4.7/5, you won’t find a self-storage company with higher customer satisfaction. Usually, smaller companies tend to boast better customer review scores, but Public Storage shatters that trend with its more than 2,000 locations in 40 states across the country.
What sets Public Storage apart?
Top-tier customer service
It doesn’t have as many amenities as competitors like CubeSmart, but Public Storage knows what customers want. Public Storage consistently delivers on its advertisement of safe, reliable, and accessible storage. In fact, Public Storage has just about as many locations (2,000+) as our top pick, Extra Space Storage.
The main callout by online reviewers is the friendly staff and clean, well-lit facilities. The price is on the higher side, but when it comes to storing your belongings, you’re in good hands with Public Storage.
Customer reviews by storage unit company
Customer review rating
What customers often say
|Public Storage|| ||Friendly reps, clean facility, good security|
|Neighbor.com|| ||Low prices, polite and accessible hosts|
|CubeSmart|| ||So-so reps, low prices, good security|
|Extra Space Storage|| ||Rude reps, long wait times|
|Life Storage|| ||High prices, attentive reps, secure facilities|
Great vehicle storage
Public Storage prides itself on offering vehicle storage in several forms. Most locations offer uncovered outdoor vehicle storage, covered outdoor vehicle storage, and garage vehicle storage. When storing something as expensive as a vehicle, having reliable, friendly staff becomes much more important.
Want the very best customer service?
CubeSmart is our pick for the storage unit company with the lowest prices. Its average monthly rate of $160 is about 20% below the industry average. You also can’t find better discounts. But CubeSmart is about more than low prices. The storage company has tons of perks—and more storage unit sizes than any other company. The only real weaknesses are security (we couldn’t verify CubeSmart uses alarms) and variety (we didn’t find any storage units without climate control).
What sets CubeSmart apart?
Low prices and big discounts
CubeSmart has some of the lowest prices around. Its going rate of $160 per month is about $20 lower than the industry average. CubeSmart also claims to have the best discounts in the industry—and we agree. The company’s low prices get even better when you apply one of its many deals:
- Military: Active members of the military get a discount. CubeSmart thanks you for your service with low prices, whether you’re on a temporary duty (TDY) assignment for only a couple of months or receive a permanent change of station (PCS).
- College students: CubeSmart often has lower prices near college campuses to make life easier for students. If you’re just going home for the summer or landed a sweet study abroad gig, CubeSmart makes it affordable to store your belongings until you get back.
- Referrals: Refer a friend, get a discount. It’s that simple. Use the extra cash to do something fun, or put it back into moving expenses like moving boxes, hourly labor, or car shipping.
- Truck rentals: CubeSmart’s discounts aren’t just for storage units. The self-storage company also partners with Penske Truck Rental, so you can score a nice deal if you need a truck to move things from your house to the storage unit.
CubeSmart has tons of perks to improve your storage experience. The company is like a fancy hotel concierge—it can get you all kinds of things that most places don’t have. Free perks include Wi-Fi, workstations with printers, and lounge areas with fresh coffee. CubeSmart even offers free truck rental if you need it for two hours or less (that’s a big deal if you’re moving furniture for an upcoming remodel).
Premium perks cost extra but are often worth it. CubeSmart can install automatic door openers, lighting and outlets (perfect if you’re a night owl moving after dark), and wall shelves on your unit for additional fees. For a fee, you can have items shipped to your unit or sent for shipping from the unit. If that’s not enough, you can also pay for professional organization, video monitoring, and full-service movers.
We’ve never seen a storage unit company put so many options in the hands of its customers. It would be our favorite CubeSmart feature if the company didn’t already have such low prices.
Do you love low prices?
Life Storage—Good security
While it may have fewer locations than other companies on the list, Life Storage stakes its claim as one of the most secure options for self-storage. Yes, its prices are higher than others, but you can be sure that your money is well-spent if security is your main concern. Additionally, customers praise Life Storage online for their helpful representatives, truck rentals, and clean facilities—something you don’t get with every storage company.
What sets Life Storage apart?
Life Storage doesn’t hold back when it comes to providing a multilayered security system for your belongings. Here are a few key features that elevate Life Storage to our top security pick:
- 24/7 digital surveillance: Whether you use indoor or outdoor storage, Life Storage uses digitally-stored security footage to deter thieves and keep your valuables safe.
- Password-protected access: Every customer and employee is required to enter their unique access code to gain access to gates and doors within the facility. Without a code, nobody can get to your storage unit door.
- Efficient lighting on the premises: This may seem like a given for self-storage companies, but there are plenty of companies that don’t keep their lights on at night. Lights not only make it a safer experience for you when you’re accessing your unit, but a well-lit facility is less likely to be a target for break-ins.
- Employee protocol: Employees at Life Storage are trained to never keep a copy of your key on hand unless you authorize a manager to keep one. In addition, associates do daily checks to make sure every unit is locked and secure.
Number of locations by storage unit company
# of locations
|Extra Space Storage||2,000+|
Data as of 11/9/22.
The virtual storage estimator
One of the biggest headaches when choosing a self-storage company is deciding what size unit you need. With Life Storage’s virtual storage estimator, you can see exactly what fits in each of their units. The tool provides a 3-D model showing how many boxes and how much furniture will fit in your unit. This way, you can ensure that you’re paying for the right amount of space before you start loading your belongings.
Is security your main concern?
Neighbor.com provides an excellent alternative to traditional self-storage at a low price. Sometimes, you may want an alternative to large chain self-storage options. Neighbor.com offers exactly that—instead of dealing with customer reps, you store your items at a host’s property. These spaces can vary greatly, from small closets to entire driveways being advertised on Neighbor.com’s app.
On average, a Neighbor.com storage rental costs $160. Positive reviews state that this web-based service offers flexibility and low prices (especially in urban areas), but the negative reviews focus on inattentive or poor hosts.
What sets Neighbor.com apart?
A new self-storage experience
Neighbor.com gives you an out-of-the-box solution to self-storage. Because it operates similarly to platforms like AirBnb, you use an app or the Neighbor.com desktop website to make your storage booking with a verified host. While the storage offerings are constantly changing, there’s a ton of variety in postings.
If you need a few square feet for boxes or an entire backyard shed, Neighbor.com probably has something for you. The app will ask you to input payment and identity information, and once you pick your space, you can chat with your host about the details of your storage. It’s as simple as that.
Neighbor delivers on host and user protection
For most people who are used to old-fashioned storage, the biggest fear of using Neighbor.com is protection—and rightfully so. It’s not easy to trust the safety of your belongings to a host you don’t know, even if they’re verified. Fortunately, Neighbor.com has vigorous trust and safety programs that back both the user and the host. Host reviews are clear and transparent, so you know which hosts have the highest rating and which ones to avoid.
Want a low price alternative to traditional self-storage?
We researched 9 storage companies and analyzed thousands of quotes to help you find the best storage unit for you:
- Extra Space Storage: Our top pick for self-storage. Its low prices and 2,000+ locations make Extra Space a great choice for any of your storage needs.
- Public Storage: If you don’t mind paying a little more for attentive and strong customer service, look no further than Public Storage.
- CubeSmart: If you’re looking to save money and take advantage of some unique perks, CubeSmart is the place for you.
- Life Storage: Paying a little more may be worth it for you if you need top-tier self-storage security.
- Neighbor.com: If you need a unique storage option at a low price point, browse your options on Neighbor.com.
Extra Space Storage is our top pick for self-storage. They consistently have strong customer reviews, a great selection of storage sizes, and they have locations all over.
The most popular self-storage unit size is medium. Most companies will offer a variety of sizes, but make sure you get the right size for your belongings to avoid overpaying.
There are several things that you should not put in self storage, including firearms, food, fur clothing, living things, and money.
CubeSmart has the best cheap self-storage units, according to Move.org. In addition to a low price of around $160 per month, CubeSmart also has more than 1,300 locations and offers tons of perks like moving trucks, storage unit shelving, and free Wi-Fi.
If you want an even cheaper option, try browsing some storage options on Neighbor.com. You can find cheap spaces there,though they often aren’t as professionally maintained and managed as CubeSmart’s.
Yes, U-Haul has self-storage options. Unfortunately, U-Haul gets consistently poor customer reviews that cite issues with rude staff, cleanliness, and extra fees. The average price for one of their storage units is about $160.
A large storage rental costs approximately $277 per month. However, prices vary by location and availability, so Move.org recommends you Find storage from a nearby storage unit company.
Most companies say that climate-controlled storage costs about 20%–50% more than standard storage spaces. However, Move.org found that you can often get these premium units at a steep discount by looking for online sales.
A Penske moving truck at CubeSmart is generally free for customers who need it for less than two hours. Costs and availability vary by location if you need the moving truck for more than two hours.
The square foot capacity of Simply Self Storage’s wine storage is approximately nine feet. These climate-controlled storage spaces typically measure 3 x 3 x 8 feet.
There isn’t one single most important storage unit security feature. If safety is your top priority, Move.org recommends looking for a combination of security features such as gated access, individually-alarmed units, and video surveillance.
Public Storage has the best boat storage, according to Move.org. Public Storage has covered, uncovered, and indoor units large enough for boats. The storage facility caters to canoes, jet skis, kayaks, paddleboards, small watercraft, surfboards, and trailered boats.
Public Storage costs about $210 per month. You can get a small standard storage space for as little as $70 per month, while a large climate-controlled storage unit costs as much as $300.
Yes, Public Storage has climate-controlled storage units. These specialized storage spaces are ideal for items that don’t hold up well in extreme temperatures or humidity, such as books, leather furniture, and electronics.
If a storage facility has 24-hour storage, it means that you can access your storage unit at any time of the day or night. A storage facility without 24-hour access allows you to enter your storage space only during specific gate hours, such as 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
No, all storage units don’t have 24-hour access. While nearly every storage unit company has some facilities with 24-hour access, the availability of this feature varies by location.
You can often find a 24-hour storage unit at highly-rated storage companies like Extra Space Storage, CubeSmart, and Public Storage. Contact a nearby storage facility to see which of its units have 24-hour storage access.
The best 24-hour storage facility is Extra Space Storage, according to Move.org. The company gets excellent reviews and has top-notch security. Check with your local Extra Space Storage to see which of its nearby locations have 24-hour access.