Bottom line: Simply Self Storage doesn’t quite make the list of Move.org’s best storage unit companies. It has low prices and strong customer reviews, but not many locations compared to others on our list. That said, Simply Self Storage specializes in wine storage units and could be a good fit if you don’t want to spend time and money converting your basement into a wine cellar.
2023 Simply Self Storage Review
See how Simply Self Storage compares to the competition on our list of best storage unit companies.
Simply Self Storage compared to other companies
Simply Self Storage boasts some low prices, but it doesn't stack up well against the competition due to fewer locations and nationwide availability.
Total square feet
| ||$160||150 million||Check Prices|
| ||$210||180 million||Check Prices|
| ||$160||Varies||Check Prices|
| ||$160||40 million||Check Prices|
| ||$230||70 million||Check Prices|
Pricing and approximate square footage as of August 2022. Prices may vary by location and are subject to change.
How much does Simply Self Storage cost?
Simply Self Storage has an affordable price, costing approximately $171 per month—or about $20 below the industry average. Prices range from around $72 for a small climate-controlled storage unit to approximately $308 for a large traditional unit. Depending on your location, there may be other sizes available.
Monthly costs vary widely because of online sales, so you should check with your local storage unit company to identify your price point.
Simply Self Storage pricing
Storage unit size
Standard storage unit
Climate-controlled storage unit
|Small (5 x 5–5 x 10 ft.)||$72||$91|
|Medium (5 x 15–10 x 10 ft.)||$141||$174|
|Large (10 x 15–10 x 30 ft.)||$281||$308|
Data as of August 2022. Prices include online estimates for storage unit costs, insurance, and taxes. Size ranges, offers, and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
Simply Self Storage cost factors
Storage unit costs at Simply Self Storage depend on several factors:
- Availability. Storage units cost more when there are fewer of them available. On the other hand, a storage facility with lots of empty units typically costs less.
- Climate control. Most storage unit companies tell you climate-controlled units cost about 20–50% more than standard storage units. However, you can often find climate control at lower prices thanks to online sales.
- Discounts. Simply Self Storage often has discounts that can lower your price. While they vary by location, you most often see deals that include one free month’s rental.
- Online sales. It costs more to walk into a storage facility and reserve a unit than it does to place your order on the web. Our analysis of nearly 365 Simply Self Storage quotes showed us that you could save $50 per month simply by ordering online.
- Taxes, fees, and insurance. Simply Self Storage charges a one-time $24 administrative fee. You also must purchase mandatory insurance (starting at $10 per month). Throw in taxes, and it adds up to about $50.
Want to save money by ordering online?
Why we recommend Simply Self Storage
Simply Self Storage wins where it matters most: low prices. We compared nearly 365 Simply Self Storage quotes with more than 3,500 quotes from other companies—and found that Simply Self Storage typically costs about $20 less per month than other storage unit companies. The price difference represents a yearly savings of about $240.
Specialized wine storage
Simply Self Storage specializes in wine storage, which you don't often see at other self storage companies. Their wine storage lockers have ducted cooling systems and humidifiers to keep your wine in excellent condition.
There are a variety of storage options, but Simply Self Storage's 3 x 3 ft. wine storage unit is a popular pick among online reviewers.
Features and services
Despite having fewer locations, Simply Self Storage offers low prices and specialized storage for wine—a rare offering in the self storage industry.
- Insurance coverage. Simply Self Storage offers coverage through its Safeguard Program. Monthly costs start at about $10 per month. They typically include coverage of $2,000 to protect against unexpected natural disasters.1 Some facilities also have the option to use your homeowners insurance (contact your homeowners insurance agent for more info).
- Vehicle storage. You can store a working vehicle of any size in Simply Self Storage’s vehicle units. That includes small vehicles like motorcycles and ATVs and large vehicles like motor homes, boats, and RVs. With indoor and outdoor options, you'll have a choice in cost and security.
- Business storage. Simply Self Storage specializes in storage spaces for business items such as documents, excess inventory, and company equipment.
- Long-term storage. If you anticipate needing storage for a few years, Simply Self Storage has you covered. You can set up autopay to ensure your unit is paid for every month without having to make a monthly phone call, visit, or online payment.
Simply Self Storage at a glance
|Move.org rating (out of 5)||3.5|
|# of locations||150+|
|# of states||23 (plus Washington DC)|
|Average customer review score (out of 5)||4.5|
|# of common storage unit sizes||12|
Simply Self Storage long-term review
Simply Self Storage has vastly improved its rating for 2021–2022. Its overall Move.org star rating increased from 3.4 to 4.5 (out of 5) based on its low prices and improved customer reviews. However, on the downside, the small number of locations still hurt Simply Self's rating even though they have added 50+ locations in the last year:
- Low storage prices. While the average price for Simply Self Storage increased from $160 to $171 during the past year, it's still below the overall storage industry average of $190.
- Increased location number. Simply Self Storage added around 50 locations in the past year, but still operates in only 23 states in the US.
- Improved review scores. There's no substitute for good customer service. Simply Self Storage greatly improved their attention to customer satisfaction in the past year, and the reviews reflect it.
We recommend Simply Self Storage primarily if you need a cheap alternative to a wine cellar. The company’s climate-controlled wine storage units are its biggest selling point. If you have a Simply Self Storage location in your area, they may be a good pick for you. In most cases, you’re probably better off working with one of our best storage unit companies.
Need wine storage?
Other self-storage picks
Looking for legit low prices or better customer service? Check out our reviews of these self-storage companies:
Simply Self Storage FAQ
What are the Simply Self Storage access hours?
Simply Self Storage’s access hours vary by location. Contact an on-site manager to learn the access hours of a Simply Self Storage facility near you.
Does Simply Self Storage have vehicle storage units?
Yes, Simply Self Storage has vehicle units that can fit everything from a compact car to RV (depending on availability). The average cost of its vehicle units is approximately $100 per month.
What size storage unit is about as big as a closet?
A 5 x 5-foot storage unit is about as big as a small closet. These units typically cost about $110 per month at the best storage unit companies.
Does Simply Self Storage have outdoor storage?
Yes, Simply Self Storage has outdoor storage. The company advertises outdoor storage primarily to park your RV.
Which companies give a fantastic storage experience?
You can get a fantastic storage experience from Move.org’s favorite storage unit companies. These storage options often have lower prices and better reviews than other storage facilities.
What is the best storage company?
The best storage company is Extra Space Storage, according to Move.org. While its prices are about 20% higher than the industry average, the company has nearly 2,000 locations, and customers routinely reward it with outstanding reviews.
What is the square foot capacity of a storage unit that is 5 x 5 feet?
The square foot capacity of a 5 x 5-foot storage unit is 25 feet. These small storage units typically cost about $120 per month at one the best storage unit companies.
Can I park a motorhome in a vehicle storage unit?
Yes, you can park a motorhome in a vehicle storage unit. Always double-check the size of your vehicle lot to make sure it’s big enough for your motorhome.
Does Simply Self Storage have storage supplies?
Yes, Simply Self Storage has storage supplies. The company offers a wide range of supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, and storage unit locks.
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
- Compare quotes. We collected more than 3,500 quotes from 8 different companies in 5 cities. We analyzed prices with and without climate control for more than a dozen storage unit sizes.
- Mystery shopping. We called companies posing as customers and visited select storage facilities in-person.
- Research. We conducted thorough research on industry features, services, and requirements such as storage unit insurance, company discounts, climate control specifications, and security details.
- Annual calendar. We repeat this process every year and save our data so that we can compare trends over time.
People also asked . . .
- Simply Self Storage, “Self-Storage Insurance.” Accessed December 29, 2021.