Save money by connecting with our free moving concierge to help set up your utilities, internet, movers, & more!
2022 Simply Self Storage Review
Bottom line: Simply Self Storage doesn’t quite make the list of Move.org’s best storage unit companies. It has low prices—but customer reviews suggest they don’t hold up. We routinely see people complain about getting hit with unexpected fees (a claim we haven’t proved or disproved). That said, Simply Self Storage specializes in wine storage units and could be a good fit if you don’t want to spend time and money converting your basement into a wine cellar.
See where Simply Self Storage ranks on our Best Storage Unit Companies piece.
How much does Simply Self Storage cost?
Simply Self Storage costs approximately $160 per month—or about $20 below the industry average. Move.org compared more than 2,500 quotes and found that Simply Self Storage has an affordable price that is often about 15% less expensive than the industry average. Prices range from around $90 for a small climate-controlled storage unit to approximately $320 for a large traditional unit.
Monthly costs vary widely because of online sales, so you should check with your local storage unit company to identify your price point.
Simply Self Storage pricing
Storage unit size
Standard storage unit
Climate-controlled storage unit
|Small (5 x 5–5 x 10 ft.)||$110||$90|
|Medium (5 x 15–10 x 10 ft.)||$180||$180|
|Large (10 x 15–10 x 30 ft.)||$290||$320|
Data as of 2/25/21. Prices include online estimates for storage unit costs, insurance, and taxes. Size ranges, offers, and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
Simply Self Storage cost factors
Storage unit costs at Simply Self Storage depend on several factors:
- Availability. Storage units cost more when there are fewer of them available. On the other hand, a storage facility with lots of empty units typically costs less.
- Climate control. Most storage unit companies tell you climate-controlled units cost about 20–50% more than standard storage units. However, you can often find climate control at lower prices thanks to online sales.
- Discounts. Simply Self Storage often has discounts that can lower your price. While they vary by location, you most often see deals that include one free month’s rental.
- Online sales. It costs more to walk into a storage facility and reserve a unit than it does to place your order on the web. Our analysis of nearly 150 Simply Self Storage quotes showed us that you could save $50 per month simply by ordering online.
- Taxes, fees, and insurance. Simply Self Storage charges a one-time $24 administrative fee. You also must purchase mandatory insurance (starting at $10 per month). Throw in taxes, and it adds up to about $50.
Want to save money by ordering online?
Simply Self Storage coverage options
Simply Self Storage offers coverage through its Safeguard Program. Monthly costs start at about $10 per month. They typically include coverage of $2,000 to protect against unexpected natural disasters.1 Some facilities also have the option to use your homeowners insurance (contact your homeowners insurance agent for more info).
Things to know about Simply Self Storage
Low prices (sort of)
Simply Self Storage wins where it matters most: low prices. We compared nearly 150 Simply Self Storage quotes with more than 2,000 quotes from other companies—and found that Simply Self Storage typically costs about $20 less per month than other storage unit companies. The price difference represents a yearly savings of about $250.
Unfortunately, those prices don’t always hold up—which leads to the next thing you should know about Simply Self Storage: below-average customer reviews.
Below-average customer reviews
Simply Self Storage struggles to keep customers happy. While we haven’t proven or disproven customer claims, most negative reviews tend to focus on two troubling issues:
1. Rude customer service. Customers repeatedly mention that Simply Self Storage managers are rude and lack professionalism. We doubt this is the case at each of Simply Self Storage’s 100-plus facilities, but it’s a troubling theme that comes up over and over again.
2. Unexpected fees. Negative customer reviews often focus on unexpected fees, such as rate increases, unauthorized charges, and higher bills than stated in contracts. While we haven’t proved or disproved these claims, it concerns us that so many customers mention the same red flags in their reviews. Charging hidden fees is one of the worst sins a storage unit company can commit.
It’s always important to look into a company’s reputation online. Positive reviews often mention things like low prices, no hidden fees, clean storage units, and friendly employees.
Simply Self Storage is available in only about 100 locations. That makes it tougher to find a self-storage facility near you when compared to companies like Extra Space Storage (1,800-plus locations) and Public Storage (2,000-plus locations).
We recommend Simply Self Storage primarily if you need a cheap alternative to a wine cellar. The company’s climate-controlled wine storage units are its biggest selling point. Technically, Simply Self Storage also has low prices, but we’ve seen too many customers complain about hidden fees to sing its praises. In most cases, you’re probably better off working with one of our best storage unit companies.
Need wine storage?
Other self-storage picks
Looking for legit low prices or better customer service? Check out our reviews of these self-storage companies:
Simply Self Storage FAQ
What are the Simply Self Storage access hours?
Simply Self Storage’s access hours vary by location. Contact an on-site manager to learn the access hours of a Simply Self Storage facility near you.
Does Simply Self Storage have vehicle storage units?
Yes, Simply Self Storage has vehicle units that can fit everything from a compact car to RV (depending on availability). The average cost of its vehicle units is approximately $120 per month.
What size storage unit is about as big as a closet?
A 5 x 5-foot storage unit is about as big as a small closet. These units typically cost about $110 per month at the best storage unit companies.
Does Simply Self Storage have outdoor storage?
Yes, Simply Self Storage has outdoor storage. The company advertises outdoor storage primarily to park your RV.
Which companies give a fantastic storage experience?
You can get a fantastic storage experience from Move.org’s favorite storage unit companies. These storage options often have lower prices and better reviews than other storage facilities.
What is the best storage company?
The best storage company is Extra Space Storage, according to Move.org. While its prices are about 20% higher than the industry average, the company has nearly 2,000 locations, and customers routinely reward it with outstanding reviews.
What is the square foot capacity of a storage unit that is 5 x 5 feet?
The square foot capacity of a 5 x 5-foot storage unit is 25 feet. These small storage units typically cost about $120 per month at one the best storage unit companies.
Can I park a motorhome in a vehicle storage unit?
Yes, you can park a motorhome in a vehicle storage unit. Always double-check the size of your vehicle lot to make sure it’s big enough for your motorhome.
Does Simply Self Storage have storage supplies?
Yes, Simply Self Storage has storage supplies. The company offers a wide range of supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, and storage unit locks.
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
- Compare quotes. We collected more than 2,500 quotes from 8 different companies in 5 cities. We analyzed prices with and without climate control for more than a dozen storage unit sizes.
- Mystery shopping. We called companies posing as customers and visited select storage facilities in-person.
- Research. We conducted thorough research on industry features, services, and requirements such as storage unit insurance, company discounts, climate control specifications, and security details.
- Annual calendar. We repeat this process every year and save our data so that we can compare trends over time.
People also asked . . .
- Simply Self Storage, “Self-Storage Insurance.” Accessed December 29, 2021.