Bottom line: CubeSmart is one of our top picks for budget-friendly self-storage. Units in a wide variety of sizes, affordable rental rates, and a long list of included features make CubeSmart a money-saving option.
See where CubeSmart ranks on our Best Self-Storage Companies list.
HOW CUBESMART IS RESPONDING TO COVID-19
HOW CUBESMART IS RESPONDING TO COVID-19
CubeSmart is still open for business, although access at some storage facilities may be affected. Visit CubeSmart’s website to check the status of your location.
Whether you’re a scrooge clearing Christmas clutter, a business owner storing extra product, or a military member stowing belongings during an overseas tour, CubeSmart has a storage answer for you. Review CubeSmart’s pros and cons to decide if it’s right for your storage needs.
- Free and discounted moving truck rentals
- Generous real estate discounts
- Drive-up and climate-controlled units
- Included on-site business services
- Secure gated entry and video surveillance
- No pest protection
- Access only during business and gate hours
- Less-than-intuitive website
- Insurance not included
What services does CubeSmart offer?
CubeSmart’s strengths are its nationwide availability—it has hundreds of locations in thirty-seven US states—its wide range of storage unit sizes, and its flexible month-to-month rental agreements. It also offers moving services to help you relocate and on-site business centers at Superstore locations for working on the go.
CubeSmart’s standout features
- It offers generous discounts and freebies.
- It keeps your belongings safe and secure.
|Feature||Included in rental rate||Add-on service|
|Moving truck use||✔ Yes||✔ Yes|
|Moving carts and roll-up doors||✔ Yes||No|
|Open and enclosed vehicle storage||No||✔ Yes|
|Boat, RV, and motorcycle storage||No||✔ Yes|
|Business storage||✔ Yes||No|
|Business services and amenities||✔ Yes||No|
|Climate-controlled units||✔ Yes||No|
|Locations nationwide||✔ Yes||No|
|24-hour security||✔ Yes||No|
|Coded, electronic gate access||✔ Yes||No|
|On-site office manager during business hours||✔ Yes||No|
|Free WiFi and workstations (Superstore locations only)||✔ Yes||No|
|Package receipt||✔ Yes||No|
|Professional shredding, faxing, photocopying (Superstore locations only)||✔ Yes||No|
|Packing and moving supplies||No||✔ Yes|
|Included in rental rate||Add-on service|
|✔ Yes||✔ Yes|
Not all CubeSmarts are created equal. Whether you rent at a regular CubeSmart or CubeSmart Superstore makes a big difference in perks, offerings, and pricing. Search what’s available in your ZIP code to find the best fit for your needs.
How much does CubeSmart cost?
Let’s ask what you’re already thinking: “What’s it going to cost me?”
Good news: CubeSmart is the most affordable option on our best self-storage companies list. In fact, CubeSmart is so confident in its prices that they invite you to compare costs with other nearby storage units.
To estimate your rental rate, input your ZIP code on CubeSmart’s website and get an instant quote on units in your area—you’ll also get a discount for booking online and, often, your first month free.
CubeSmart storage unit pricing
CubeSmart’s monthly pricing depends on unit size, location, and type (climate-controlled versus drive-up access, for example).
CubeSmart unit sizes range from an oversized 5 ft. x 5 ft. locker (25 square feet) to a garage-sized 12 ft. x 30 ft. (300 square feet) space. Not sure what size you’ll need to stash your Beanie Baby collection? Or your collectible Camaro? Use CubeSmart’s online size guide to find a unit that fits your needs.
We shopped for units in Salt Lake City’s 84109 ZIP code, where you can expect to pay $26 per month for CubeSmart’s 5 ft. x 5 ft. unit when you book online. Large units (ranging from 10 ft. x 20 ft. to 12 ft. x 40 ft.) in this market cost around $170 monthly, and vehicle spaces start at $55 per month.
We found higher rates in big cities like Philadelphia and New York City, but even these markets offer cheaper rent and added discounts outside the city centers.
CubeSmart monthly rental rates
|Dimensions range||5 ft. x 5 ft.–8 ft. x 8 ft.||10 ft. x 10 ft.–10 ft. x 15 ft.||10 ft. x 20 ft.–12 ft. x 30 ft.||10 ft. x 15 ft.–10 ft. x 30 ft.|
|Monthly rental rate*||$26–$208||$96–$608||$145–$1,221||$42–$314|
|Website||Find a Unit||Find a Unit||Find a Unit||Find a Unit|
*Price estimates are based on searches in Salt Lake City and New York City.
Looking to save big? If you’re willing to drive to less convenient locations, you can shave 25%–75% off monthly rental rates.
CubeSmart has generous rate discounts and freebies
It offers free and discounted truck rentals
Getting a storage unit on the cheap is great, but you also have to haul your belongings there. CubeSmart saves the day with free local moving truck rentals and discounted rental trucks from Penske for longer moves.
You can schedule your free four-hour moving truck rental on CubeSmart’s website. In New York City, four-hour truck rentals also include a driver who brings your items to your storage unit for you. Need a truck for longer? Use CubeSmart to book a Penske truck rental and save 10%.
It offers discounted rental rates
CubeSmart is a great option for those who have champagne taste on a beer budget. Its standard pricing often beats the competition, and discounts make its quality units even more affordable.
Here’s the rundown of CubeSmart’s discounts:
- Online booking: Get your first month free and save up to 15% on your monthly rate when you book your unit online.
- Active-duty military: Serving in the armed forces nets you a 10% discount on top of other promotions.
- Refer-a-friend coupon: Refer a friend, and CubeSmart will lower your rent by half your friend’s rate the following month.
- Holiday self-storage promotions: CubeSmart knows you need somewhere to stash decor and hide clutter when Aunt Gladys comes to visit for the holidays—you can save 15% on your rent during this festive season.
CubeSmart protects your belongings
Rest easy knowing your stored items are safe and secure. CubeSmart offers these features to protect your belongings:
- Video monitoring: CubeSmart offers 24/7 video monitoring, but if you want extra eyes on your belongings, get a Wi-Fi-enabled camera linked to your unit (CubeSmart Superstore locations only).
- On-site facilities manager: During regular business hours, a facilities manager is available to assist with packing supplies, answer questions, and solve problems.
- Coded, electronic entrance gate: Electronic gates require an assigned code to enter and protect against unwelcome visitors and thieves.
- Automatic openers: At CubeSmart Superstores, choose a secure automatic opener that makes coming and going a breeze.
- Remote controlled access: Get one remote to rule them all that opens the entry gate, loading dock door, and automatic storage unit door.
- Climate-controlled indoor units: Choose heated or cooled units to protect your temperature-sensitive items.
CubeSmart is ideal for budget-conscious shoppers who take security seriously. With more deals than any company we reviewed, CubeSmart’s free moving trucks, first-month-free offers, refer-a-friend programs, and military discounts help you stack your savings.
But even if you decide CubeSmart isn’t right for you, we can still help you find a storage company that is. Use our best self-storage companies list to find a service that meets your self-storage needs. CubeSmart ranks fourth on our list because it doesn’t offer pest protection or a user-friendly website, but when you’re looking for a deal, CubeSmart delivers.
If you’re a current or former CubeSmart customer, share your experience in the comments below.