We analyzed hundreds of quotes and thousands of reviews over three years to pick PODS as the best moving container company.
PODS Moving Review 2022: Pricing & Services
Bottom line: PODS® is our favorite moving container company. It has low prices, high-quality container and storage options, and nationwide availability.
At Move.org, we offer financial assistance to individuals and families who are moving in exchange for details about their experience. Their candid reviews help us provide unique, real-life perspectives about the moving process.
Visit our Moving Grant hub to find out which companies we’ve worked with and to apply for funding for your next move!
The average cost to move with PODS is approximately $3,810. Prices vary depending on your home size and trip distance. For example, you can move a one-bedroom apartment 100 miles for as little as $850. On the other hand, it costs more than $6,500 to transport belongings from a five-room home across the country.
PODS moving container prices
Data as of March 2022. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change. Average cost calculated by comparing moving costs for four home sizes across six distances.
PODS has low prices, but they come with a drawback: confusing invoices. The company charges a laundry list of fees at various stages of your move. You almost need a secretary to take notes when the company breaks down the costs. There are just so… many… numbers.
We recommend you focus on the total amount to ensure that PODS is the right fit for your move. After that, you can work with the customer service rep to sort out the different fees:
- Container fee
- Delivery fee
- Redelivery fee
- Transit fee
- Monthly rental
You have two coverage options when moving with PODS:
- Container only. Insure your PODS container (but not your personal belongings) against loss or damage for $10 per month.1
- Contents protection. Protect your PODS container and personal belongings against mishaps like burglary, vandalism, and delivery snafus for a monthly fee. Costs vary from $34.95 to $469.95, depending on the value of your household items.
PODS Contents Protection coverage pricing
Data as of 4/19/2022. Pricing for US Contents Protection only and subject to change. Individuals should review their rental contract—including addendums—for a complete description of the policy’s terms, conditions, and exclusions.
What to know about PODS
It’s the best moving container company
PODS is our pick for the number one moving container business. Some companies do certain things better. For example, U-Pack has coverage in 50 states (4 more than PODS). But no other company is near the front of the pack for as many reasons:
- Low prices. PODS costs less than average. Throw in a special discount for Move.org readers, and PODS becomes the cheapest moving container company.
- Great reviews. PODS has the second-highest customer review scores in the moving container industry. Customers frequently praise the company for its helpful customer service, timely delivery, and affordability.
- Wide availability. PODS is available in 46 states (some companies have locations in fewer than 30). It also kept up with moving demand during the pandemic better than any container moving service.
- High-quality containers. PODS has three different sizes of steel-framed containers, while some companies have only one model made of flimsy plywood. Containers are weather-resistant and have a good track record of keeping belongings safe and dry.
- And more. PODS has top-tier storage options, provides moving services for all home sizes, and can handle both local move and long-distance moves. No matter which way you slice it, PODS continually provides flexible moving solutions to customers.
You can claim a 10% discount
PODS has a special 10% discount for Move.org readers. The company already has below-average prices, but they get even better with the special deal. For example, the average cost of moving with PODS is around $3,800 (about $50 below the standard rate). The price plummets approximately $400 after applying the discount.
You walk away with almost four extra Benjamins in your pocket. The savings come in handy if you need to hire a mover by the hour to help with things like packing moving boxes or loading the PODS container.
The average customer saves nearly $400 with a PODS discount
Few companies get better customer reviews
PODS has the second-highest customer reviews in the moving container business. Our analysis of over 16,000 reviews from five different companies reveals that customers prefer PODS over virtually every container company. Customer reports repeatedly highlight PODS’ low prices, fast service, and friendly customer service.
How does PODS compare to other companies?
PODS is the best moving container company we’ve seen. While some competitors do certain things better, none of them score as highly in as many categories. For example, no company has more containers or storage options than PODS. Similarly, PODS met increased COVID-19 moving demand better than the competition. It has extra insurance coverage. The list goes on and on.
Notably, there’s one company, U-Pack, that has better customer reviews. But PODS takes second place—and beats U-Pack’s price by $700. Technically, Zippy Shell has the lowest moving container prices. However, that’s before factoring in PODS’ 10% Move.org discount. Put that perk on the table, and PODS beats out Zippy Shell as the cheapest moving container company by $50.
No moving container company creates a more fully rounded customer experience than PODS when you look at the entire picture.
PODS compared to other moving container companies
Data as of May 2022. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change. Average cost calculated by comparing moving costs for four home sizes across six distances. Average customer review score calculated by averaging more than 16,000 customer reviews from 10 different websites.
Features and services
PODS at a glance
|Average price|| |
|Container materials||Steel frame|
|# of containers||3|
|# of states||46|
|Average customer review score (out of 5)|| |
Local and long-distance moves
PODS can help you move no matter the distance. The real win here is the local availability. Virtually every moving company handles long-distance moves, but some don’t offer in-town options. That’s a pain if the company’s prices match your budget and features resonate with your moving situation, but you can’t hire it for the job.
Thankfully, PODS doesn’t make you sweat it out. The moving container company provides local and long-distance moving services in 46 states.
PODS’ specialty is moving containers. The company is so well-known that some competitors violate the PODS® trademark by referring to moving containers as moving pods. It sets the industry standard in many ways.
Here’s how moving containers work. PODS delivers a container to your home. You load the PODS container and then call the company to pick it up. PODS then transports your container and belongings to your new home and drops them off. You unload the container, and then PODS picks it back up. One, two, three, done.
Note: PODS can deliver containers to most homes. However, your PODS rep can help you ensure that you have enough space and that local HOA and city regulations allow for the delivery and storage of the moving containers.
PODS has three container sizes. The smallest 6-foot option can fit belongings from a studio apartment. The company’s largest 16-foot portable storage container can often accommodate four-bedroom homes. And PODS’ 12-foot shipping container can fit up to three rooms for moves under 50 miles.
PODS container sizes
Data as of 4/19/22. PODS container sizes are estimates. Customers are responsible for assessing the container capacity for their belongings.
Containers often save you money because you do much of the work (like packing and loading). PODS handles the big stuff like container delivery, pickup, and transportation.
PODS also rents moving containers for storage purposes. Monthly fees vary but always come with the same flexible options:
- At-home storage. Park the PODS container at your home and keep it as long as needed. It comes in handy for short-term remodels and decluttering projects. You can walk right out the front door and into your PODS container (no driving to a self-storage facility like Extra Space Storage or CubeSmart).
- PODS facility storage. Keep your container at a PODS storage center. The company lets you access your belongings anytime you want, so long as you call ahead to schedule an appointment. PODS recommends its warehouses if you need storage for more than a few weeks or don’t have enough space in your driveway.
PODS needs a space about twice the size of two parking spaces to drop off a storage container (about 40 x 12 x 15 feet).
It’s important to note that PODS has the best storage options in the country. Some companies offer only at-home or facility storage (PODS does both). Similarly, some container services keep your belongings at a storage center but won’t allow you to access them (PODS will). PODS even has climate-controlled storage facilities for sensitive items like photographs and books. You simply can’t find better portable storage options.
PODS is one of the only moving container companies to offer auto transport services. It partners with an online marketplace (ACERTUS) where truck drivers bid on your shipment. While ACERTUS is a different logistics platform than the one used by the best car shipping companies, we suspect the price and quality are similar to what you see elsewhere.
The service is so new that PODS is still rolling out information.2 For now, we recommend you talk to your PODS representative if you want to ship a vehicle along with your belongings.
PODS international services
PODS offers international moving services between Canada and the United States. It also has in-country moving container services in Australia and the United Kingdom. We recommend contacting one of our best international moving companies if you need to move to a country other than Canada.
PODS long-term review
PODS is even more impressive when you look at how the container company has changed over time. We regularly review moving container companies, and PODS’ trajectory keeps going up. It handled moving during COVID-19 better than any of its competitors and managed to keep price hikes to a minimum. On the downside, PODS’ customer review scores dropped—but that trend applies to every similar moving service during the pandemic.
- COVID-19. The pandemic created sky-high moving demand. Every company struggled to keep pace, but no one handled the twists and turns like PODS. It ensured you had a moving container, even if everyone wanted one. For example, PODS hired a third-party company to help keep scheduling on pace when its employees were out sick with COVID-19.
- Price hikes. The pandemic’s high demand had a ripple effect across the entire moving industry. The average moving container company jacked its rates by 30% during COVID-19. PODS pricing went up only 20%.
- Customer reviews. Customers rated moving container companies lower than normal during the pandemic. Our analysis of 16,000-plus reviews shows that the average container company’s review score went down about 0.5 stars over the last three years. PODS followed suit with review scores that dropped from 3.8 to 3.1 out of 5 stars.
We recommend PODS for local and long-distance moves of all sizes. PODS beats the competition in nearly every category, including storage options, insurance, and low prices with a 10% discount. And the company has only gotten better with time. PODS rose from our third place company in 2020 to our overall top pick in 2022. You probably need to look elsewhere only if you live someplace without PODS coverage.
Save 10% with a PODS discount for Move.org readers
Moving container FAQ
What does PODS stand for?
PODS stands for Portable on Demand Storage. The moving company is so popular that competitors sometimes violate its trademark by referring to generic storage containers as moving pods.
How much does PODS cost?
PODS costs about $3,810 for the average move. Prices are much lower for small local moves, while you can expect to fork out three times as much for big long-distance moves.
What is PODS’ moving cost for long distance?
PODS charges approximately $4,690 for long-distance moves of over 1,750 miles. That’s roughly half as much as you’d spend hiring a professional moving company.
Which is better: U-Box or PODS?
PODS is better than U-Box. Both companies are industry leaders, but PODS has lower prices, higher quality, and better customer service.
Is PODS worth it for moving?
PODS gives customers a lot of value for local and long-distance moves. The moving container company has excellent rates, strong containers, and top-notch customer service.
How much does an 8-foot PODS container cost?
The average cost of an 8-foot PODS container is approximately $2,560. A 100-mile move costs around $850, while a cross-country trip sets you back more than $3,000.
How much does a 16-foot PODS container cost?
The average cost of a 16-foot PODS container is approximately $6,150. Prices range from about $1,940 for a 100-mile move to over $9,000 for a 2,000-mile trip.
What are the different PODS sizes?
PODS containers come in three sizes: an 8-foot, 12-foot, and 16-foot option. The smallest container can accommodate a studio apartment. At the same time, the largest one can often fit belongings from three to four rooms.
What is the smallest PODS size for moving?
The smallest PODS size is an eight-foot moving container. It’s ideal for dorms and apartments with about 500 square feet of belongings.
What PODS size do I need for a two-bedroom apartment?
You need a 12- or 16-foot PODS container for a two-bedroom apartment. While the 12-foot container is adequate, it’s available for only moves of less than 50 miles. The 16-foot container is more than you need, but it’s available for local and long-distance needs.
How much can fit in a 16-foot PODS container?
You can generally fit belongings from up to four bedrooms in PODS’ large 16-foot moving container. PODS also allows you to keep the container at your home for a monthly storage fee.
Do PODS containers have a weight limit?
Yes, PODS containers have a weight limit. The company’s smallest 8-foot moving container has the highest weight threshold (5,200 pounds). Its 12- and 16-foot containers can hold 4,700 and 4,200 pounds.
Why are moving containers so expensive?
Moving costs are high across the entire industry because of increased demand associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Moving containers cost less than full-service moving companies. They can also be more affordable than rental trucks for long-distance moves.
What is the best long-distance moving company?
The best long-distance moving company is International Van Lines. It has moving discounts, worldwide availability, and top-tier customer service.
Does PODS have good customer service?
Yes, PODS has good customer service, as evidenced by the second-highest rating in the industry. It often receives praise for its friendly reps, low prices, and prompt service.
Does the military pay for PODS?
The U.S. military allows armed service personnel to use PODS moving containers for do-it-yourself (DIY) moves. The government provides a moving allowance tailored to your family and lets you keep whatever money you don’t spend.
Can you put a motorcycle in a PODS container?
PODS prohibits motorcycles, cars, and lawn mowers in its 8, 12, and 16-foot containers. We recommend using a professional motorcycle shipping company to transport your chopper.
Move.org follows a five-step process to identify the nation’s best moving container companies:
- Compare quotes. We collected over 100 quotes from seven of the nation’s largest moving container companies to identify pricing trends.
- Mystery shopping. We do a top-to-bottom analysis of each company’s website and even call posing as customers. It helps us get a feel for what real-life customers experience.
- Analyze reviews. We read dozens of reviews for each company to see what most impresses (and turns off) customers. We also ran the numbers for more than 7,000 total reviews to calculate an industry customer review average.
- Site visits. We invite industry experts and company executives to visit our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT. We grill them on everything from pricing and customer reviews to insurance coverage and the latest industry trends.
- Annual review. Every year, we repeat the process to ensure that our list of the best moving container companies stays current. That means things like our top recommendations and industry prices may change from year to year.
People also asked
Other moving container picks
Our reports on PODS customers’ experiences
Did you know that you can apply for a moving grant to cover some of your expenses? We pay real-life customers in exchange for their candid feedback. See what some of them have to say about moving with PODS:
- PODS. “Contents Protection Option,” March 3, 2015. Accessed April 26, 2022.
- PODS. “PODS Partners with ACERTUS to Expand Moving Services to Include Auto Shipping,” April 12, 2022. Accessed April 19, 2022.