Florida is the third most-populated state in the country, and around 15% of Floridians moved in the last year. That puts moving demand at a pretty high level. Accordingly, we’ve created a list of the best Florida movers, starting with our top overall pick, International Van Lines. But, of course, you have some other choices as well. We’ll walk you through your options whether you need a moving service to South Florida, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, or Fort Myers.
Compare Florida moving companies
|Full-service (long distance)|| ||$$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Full-service (local)|| ||$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Moving container|| ||$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Truck rental|| ||$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Hourly labor|| ||$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
Best Movers in Florida
Move.org's top pick
International Van Lines is our pick for the best long-distance moving service. It has a vast network of cross-country movers, provides one month of free storage, and offers military and senior discounts. Want to move with Move.org's #1 pick?
What type of moving company is right for you?
Professional movers load your stuff, ship it to your new home, and unload it all for you. It’s the easiest—but most expensive—option. Learn more.
You load up all your belongings, but the movers transport your container to your new home. It’s the middle road for effort and cost. Learn more.
Worried about costs? Rent a truck, load it yourself, drive it to your new home, and unload all your things. You do it all—and save a lot. Learn more.
What to know about moving in Florida
Florida has a population of more than 20 million people,1 making it the third-largest state in the country.2 The Sunshine State also has a high portion of seniors. For example, more than one-fifth of Sunshine State residents are over 65. Whites, Latinos, and African Americans comprise most of the population (no other demographic has over 3% of the population). Additionally, just over 20% of Floridians were born in another country, and nearly one-third of residents report having a primary language other than English.3
Hiring a professional packing service can save a lot of time and stress. Popular packing companies bring their own supplies, help you avoid injuries, and use professional movers.
The median income in Florida is approximately $58,000 annually,1 and the average male makes about 1.35 times as much as female employees.3 Florida’s most popular jobs include transportation, professional business services, and hospitality,4 while the highest-paying opportunities are in the coal mining, agriculture, and finance industries. The counties with the highest median household income are St. Johns County, Nassau County, and Monroe County.3
Cost of living
The median property value in Florida is approximately $232,000—roughly $2,200 more expensive than the national average. Property values have also increased by nearly 8%, and around two-thirds of residents own homes.4 Florida utility costs are generally cheaper than the national average, with Floridians spending about $410 per month.
Florida leans Republican. Donald Trump won the state’s electoral votes in the 2020 presidential election, with approximately 51% of the vote (compared to 48% for Joe Biden). The most Republican counties are Holmes County, Lafayette County, and Baker County, while the regions with the highest percentage of Democrats include Gadsden County, Broward County, and Orange County. Florida also has 27 elected officials serving in the House of Representatives.3
North American Van Lines caters to premium customers and has decades of experience with piano moving. The movers also offer excellent packing services and storage space.
Best Florida movers FAQ
What is the best moving company in Miami?
Pure Moving Company is our pick for the best movers in Miami if you’re doing a local move. The South Florida moving company has packing services and storage services, along with professional movers to load and unload your belongings.
How much does a long-distance move cost?
Our research shows that the average cost of a long-distance move is around $9,000. But prices vary based on which professional mover you hire, how much stuff you have, and how far it is to your destination.
Which moving companies have the best customer service?
JK Moving has some of the moving industry’s best customer service based on a mathematical analysis of more than 10,000 customer reviews. The long-distance mover’s average rating of 4.2 out of 5 is about one-half star higher than the average moving company.
How much does storage cost?
The average cost of storage in Florida is approximately $210 monthly. That’s roughly $20 more than the national average, according to Move.org’s analysis of 3,700 self-storage quotes.
What are the cheapest moving companies?
The cheapest moving companies are typically moving truck companies like Penske. However, using one of the best moving container companies can often result in even lower rates for long-distance moves.
We conducted intensive research to identify the best moving companies for long-distance moves and local moves, in addition to container moves, truck rentals, and hourly moving labor:
- Compare pricing transparency. We gather quotes, check for binding estimates, and read customer reviews about pricing to ensure each moving company’s prices are trustworthy.
- Review accreditation. We check every company’s records in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s database to confirm companies are properly authorized to transport household goods.
- Mystery shopping. We review every company’s website, pose as customers in calls to companies, and read customer reviews to analyze every company’s moving services, transit protection, and customer service. We also interview actual customers to learn how their moves went from start to finish.
- Site visits. We invite moving companies to our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, to share data and expertise. We verify the information they provide by comparing it to data gathered through independent research and interviews with other movers.
- Regular review. We routinely repeat this process to update our recommendations to reflect current data and trends. We also revise each review annually and make updates throughout the year.
People also asked . . .
Best moving companies by city in Florida
Best moving companies by state
- United States Census Bureau, “Quick Facts: Florida,” Accessed October 10, 2022.
- United States Census Bureau, America Counts Staff, August 25, 2021, “Florida Was Third-Largest State in 2020 With Population of 21.5 Million,” Accessed October 10, 2022.
- Deloitte, “Data USA: Florida,” Accessed October 10, 2022.
- United States Congress Joint Economic Committee, September 16, 2022, “Florida Employment Report,” Accessed October 10, 2022.