American Auto Shipping is one of our favorite car shipping companies. It handles every type of transport you can think of, doesn’t require a deposit, and has fully guaranteed prices (we’ve never seen that before). The company has been around for more than 20 years, and customers love it. American Auto Shipping even gives you up to $500 toward your insurance deductible in the rare event of damage in transit. It’s tough to do better than American Auto Shipping.
American Auto Shipping 2021 Review
How American Auto Shipping compares to the car shipping industry
|Company information||American Auto Shipping||Industry averages|
|Company pricing (out of 5)||$$$||$$$|
|Average customer review score||4.8 / 5||4.6 / 5|
|Offers extra insurance coverage|
See where American Auto Shipping ranks on our Best Car Shipping Companies piece.
How much does American Auto Shipping cost?
The average cost to transport a vehicle with American Auto Shipping is approximately $1,530. Costs range from roughly $760 to ship a mid-size car a couple of hundred miles on an open transport carrier to around $2,110 to ship a heavy-duty truck across the country in an enclosed carrier. American Auto Shipping’s initial quotes are higher than normal, but its final prices are usually lower than the industry average, thanks to guaranteed pricing.
American Auto Shipping average car shipping pricing
|Transport type||Car (Toyota Corolla)||SUV (Ford Explorer)||Truck (Ford F-150)|
|Open transport|| |
|Closed transport|| |
Data as of 05/12/2021. Offers and availability may vary and are subject to change. Average cost calculated by comparing shipping costs for 3 vehicle sizes across 11 distances.
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
How American Auto Shipping pricing compares
American Auto Shipping’s initial quotes are higher than the industry average. However, because the shipping company has guaranteed prices, your final price is usually lower than what you’d expect to pay with other companies.
Car shipping pricing is weird. The initial quote you get from most companies is their best guess of how much it will cost. They give your transport details to thousands of truck drivers across the country who bid on your shipment. The final price often settles around 25% higher than your initial quote. For example, if an auto transporter quotes you $1,000 on day one, there’s a good chance you’ll end up paying closer to $1,250 by the time the driver picks up your vehicle.
But American Auto Shipping is different. Its guaranteed prices mean that you might have sticker shock when you first get a quote, but you’ll likely save money in the end.
American Auto Shipping cost factors
American Auto Shipping says that several factors affect the cost of transporting your vehicle:
- Time of year. It’s more expensive to ship your automobile when demand is high in the summer. On the other hand, you can usually snag lower prices transporting your vehicle in the winter.
- Vehicle size and type. Bigger and heavier vehicles cost more than smaller and lighter ones. For example, the average cost to ship a mid-size car with American Auto Shipping is about $1,130, while transporting a heavy-duty truck is around $1,390.
- Transport type. You can ship your vehicle on open or enclosed transport.
- Open transport trucks don’t have walls or a roof, so your vehicle is “open” to the elements. Most people use this option because it’s the cheapest.
- Enclosed shipping is great if you have a classic car or expensive vehicle. Just be aware that it will set you back an additional $500 or so on average.
- Distance. The farther you go, the more it costs. A trip of fewer than 500 miles might cost about $780, while a cross-country shipment can be twice that much.
- Market conditions. American Auto Shipping looks at nearly 500 market conditions in real-time to calculate your quote. That attention to detail is why it can guarantee your final price when most other companies can’t. The car transport company uses a pricing prediction software that allows it to factor in variables like:
- Supply and demand
- Bad weather
- Even minute-by-minute road closures
Want guaranteed prices to ship your vehicle?
American Auto Shipping coverage options
American Auto Shipping uses only auto transport carriers with at least $750,000 in liability insurance covering any damage caused by the driver or theft during the transport. In the rare event you need to file an insurance claim, American Auto Shipping pays up to $500 toward your deductible at no extra cost to you.
Car shipping accidents are rare, but you can never be too careful. We’ve put together some auto transport safety tips to help make sure you don’t end up in bed with a risky company.
American Auto Shipping at a glance
|Broker or carrier||Broker|
|Carries basic insurance|
|Availability (# of states)||50|
|Average customer service rating||4.8 / 5|
|Years in business||22|
American Auto Shipping features and services
American Auto Shipping handles all kinds of deliveries ranging from open and enclosed transport to expedited shipping:
- Open transport. About 90% of all auto shipments go on open transport. American Auto Shipping can accommodate cars, SUVS, trucks, and even heavy-duty equipment like tractors and bulldozers (bet you didn’t see that coming).
- Enclosed transport. American Auto Shipping can transport your vehicle inside a fully enclosed trailer. Enclosed shipping is ideal for classic cars, custom vehicles, luxury vehicles, and other automobiles you don’t want exposed to the elements during transport. Just be aware that it costs about 40% more than open transport.
- Military shipping. The military pays to ship one personal vehicle if you receive a permanent change of station (PCS), but you’re on the hook if you’ve got more than one car. American Auto Shipping gives active duty personnel a $25 car shipping discount.
- Expedited pickup. You can pay extra to have your vehicle picked up faster. While American Auto Shipping normally picks up your car within 5 days, you can pay $200 to have it picked up in 2 days. If you’re really in a rush because of a new job’s start date or you have to leave town, you can pay $500 to have the driver come within 24 hours.
- Hawaii transport. American Auto Shipping offers transport services in all 50 states, including shipments from Hawaii to the mainland. You must bring several documents with you when you drop off your car at the port, including:
- Your order confirmation
- Vessel booking number
- A government ID
- An authorization letter. If you’re still making car payments, you’ll also need to provide a lien authorization letter. (Your rep can help you with the details.)
- Motorcycle shipping. You can ship a motorcycle of any size with American Auto Shipping. It handles everything from small dirt bikes to monster hogs. While it offers both open and enclosed shipping, we recommend that you ship your motorcycle on an enclosed trailer because a long trip on an open carrier is murder on your bike’s finish.
Move.org looked all over the country to find the best motorcycle shipping companies. We recommend looking for a company with motorcycle expertise, extra insurance, and positive customer reviews.
Why we recommend American Auto Shipping
American Auto Shipping has the best guaranteed prices we’ve seen. Most companies don’t offer any kind of guarantee—and as a result, your final price is typically hundreds of dollars more expensive than your initial quote. A few car shippers chip in several hundred bucks of their own money if your price goes above the initial quote. But American Auto Shipping is the only company we’ve found with a bona fide guarantee: your initial estimate and your final price are exactly the same.
There are a couple of caveats:
- 24-hour limit. Car shipping prices are constantly in flux. American Auto Shipping has an impressive pricing calculator that lets the company predict your price close enough to offer a guarantee—but you have to accept it within 24 hours, or the deal is off the table.
- User error. American Auto Shipping’s prices are only as good as the info you provide. If you say you want to ship a compact car when you have a bulky SUV, the price will go up. Small details matter too. For example, you can store up to 100 pounds of belongings in your vehicle. If it weighs more than that, you’re responsible for the extra cost.
Instant online quotes
American Auto Shipping can give you a guaranteed online quote in less than three minutes. This is one of our favorite features in car shipping companies. We get irritated when we try to get an “instant online quote” only for the car shipping company to give us a confirmation number and ask us to call or check our email to get the estimate. Convenience rules the day, and we love how easy American Auto Shipping makes it to get a quote.
Car shipping customers rarely need to file insurance claims, but American Auto Shipping has an incredible perk if worst comes to worst: it chips in up to $500 that you can put toward your deductible.
Again, this stuff hardly ever happens. American Auto Shipping purposefully uses only the top 2% of truck drivers to maximize your odds of a safe trip. But if the driver does get into an accident or road debris scratches your paint, American Auto Shipping has you covered.
Decades of experience
American Auto Shipping has been around longer than just about any car shipping service you might work with. Age isn’t everything (some of our other best car shipping companies are less than 10 years old), but it’s a big deal in this industry because companies come and go so quickly. The fact that American Auto Shipping has been around for more than two decades is saying something.
The transporter also gets stellar customer reviews. The average customer gives American Auto Shipping a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars. People routinely praise its customer service reps for being friendly and providing simple explanations about how car shipping works. We’ve rarely seen better scores.
At the same time, we're surprised that American Auto Shipping has relatively few reviews. We searched a dozen review sites and could find only 2,000 of them. To put that in context, most companies have about 7,500 auto transport reviews—including those that haven’t been around nearly as long. It’s a little concerning that fewer than 100 American Auto Shipping customers leave the company reviews each year. But it’s also hard to argue with the company’s near-perfect star rating. The auto shipper impresses us—and that’s not an easy thing to do.
FAQ about American Auto Shipping
How much does it cost to ship a car?
It costs approximately $1,290 to ship a car. Because your final price can often be upwards of 25% higher than your initial quote, Move.org recommends using a shipping service like American Auto Shipping with guaranteed prices.
What is American Auto Shipping’s car transport cost?
American Auto Shipping’s car transport cost is approximately $1,530. Prices range from about $840 to ship your car a couple of hundred miles on an open transport carrier to around $2,120 to transport it across the country on an enclosed carrier.
Where can I find American Auto Shipping reviews?
You can find American Auto Shipping reviews on popular review sites like Yelp and Transport Reviews. Move.org says that American Auto Shipping has an average customer review score of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
What auto transport services does American Auto Shipping offer?
American Auto Shipping offers auto transport services such as open and enclosed car transport, motorcycle shipping, and military car shipping. Move.org ranks it as one of the best car shipping companies because of its guaranteed prices and $500 damage-free guarantee.
American Auto Shipping has one of the top spots on our list of the best car shipping companies.
The auto transport broker has been doing all of the little things right for decades. Customers often give it nearly perfect scores as a result—and we’re right there with them. We like features like American Auto Shipping’s instant online quotes and its $500 damage-free guarantee.
What completely blows us away is its one-of-a-kind guaranteed prices: you never see that in this industry. There are no two ways about it: American Auto Shipping is one of the best companies we’ve seen.
Want one of the best car shipping companies around?