Bottom line: iStorage is a last resort option. The self-storage company has higher than industry average prices, relatively few locations, and very poor customer service. Put it all together, and iStorage doesn’t measure up to the best storage unit companies.
iStorage Review 2023
Table of contents
iStorage compared to other companies
iStorage doesn't stack up against the competition because of its limited locations and poor customer rating. Before deciding which company to use, take a look at Move.org's top choices for self-storage.
Pricing and approximate square footage as of November 2022. Prices may vary by location and are subject to change.
How much does iStorage cost?
iStorage costs about $212 per month (not including a one-time $26 administrative fee) if you order online. However, in-store reservations typically cost about 40% more than web orders. You can find deals by ordering online and then use the savings for moving expenses like rental trucks or hourly labor.
iStorage self-storage pricing
Storage unit size
Data as of November 2022. Prices include online estimates for storage unit costs, insurance, and taxes. In-store prices estimated by 40% additional increase to web prices. Prices and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
iStorage cost factors
Several factors affect the cost of your self-storage unit:
- Online vs. in-store reservations. iStorage prices are about 40% higher if you make a reservation at the company warehouse. Save money by making your reservation online.
- Size. Large storage units cost more than small ones.
- Availability. Storage unit prices depend on supply and demand. A company with only one available unit will cost more than a company with dozens of ready-to-rent units. Self-storage facilities with lots of openings often mark down their units, so keep an eye out for same-day sales.
- Climate control. Technically, climate-controlled units cost more than standard storage units. However, you can almost always find one at a steep discount if you look for online sales. While web discounts apply to all units, climate-controlled options typically have the biggest savings.
- Taxes, fees, and insurance. The average storage unit has about $50 in taxes, one-time fees, and insurance that aren’t part of your quote.
Self-storage facilities with lots of openings often mark down their units, so keep an eye out for same-day sales.
iStorage coverage options
You must have insurance to rent an iStorage unit. You can either use your homeowners insurance (check with your agent for more info) or purchase iStorage’s iShield coverage. iShield protection ranges from $12–$32 per month, depending on the unit and what you plan to store in it.
Note: iShield doesn’t cover stored vehicles.
Your premiums can go up if you use your homeowners insurance and have to file a claim—but not if you use iStorage’s iShield protection plan.
iStorage features and services
Four unit sizes
iStorage has the same general size categories as most storage unit companies: small, medium, large, and vehicle. Small units typically have storage space for up to one room’s belongings, while large units can hold up to five rooms. Vehicle units hold everything from compact cars to large RVs.
iStorage size guide
Storage unit size
Storage unit dimensions
5 x 5 x 4 ft.
5 x 5 x 8 ft.
5 x 10 x 8 ft.
5 x 15 x 8 ft.
|Up to one room|
10 x 10 x 8 ft.
10 x 15 x 8 ft.
|Up to three rooms|
10 x 20 x 8 ft.
10 x 25 x 8 ft.
10 x 30 x 8 ft.
|Up to five rooms|
10 x 20 x 8 ft. (indoor garage)
10 x 20 ft. (outdoor covered parking spot)
10 x 20 ft. (outdoor uncovered parking spot)
10 x 30 ft. (indoor garage, no height listed)
10 x 40 ft. (indoor garage, no height listed)
|Compact car to RV|
Data as of 11/10/22. Sizes and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
You can find a climate-controlled storage unit at most iStorage locations. “Climate control” is an industry term that means the company monitors the temperature and humidity levels inside of your storage unit. iStorage typically charges about $70 extra for climate control if you rent a unit at the store—but you can often get it for a lower price by ordering online.
You can often save over $100 on climate-controlled storage units by looking for online sales. The savings can go toward moving expenses like renting a moving truck or buying moving supplies.
Many iStorage facilities are open 24 hours a day. It’s a great feature for night owls and people with busy day schedules moving stuff from storage units to their new homes. Contact your local iStorage for more info.
Each iStorage self-storage facility has an on-site manager who can help you with all of your storage unit questions. The manager does everything from showing units and placing reservations to selling moving supplies and setting you up with insurance.
iStorage at a glance
|Move.org rating (out of 5)||2.7|
|# of locations||300+|
|# of states||23 (plus Washington DC)|
|Average customer review score (out of 5)||3.6|
|# of common storage unit sizes||9|
iStorage long-term review
iStorage's ranking has dropped during the 2021-2022 season. Its overall rating went form a 3.6 to a 2.7 due to price increases.
- Higher storage prices: Many self-storage companies lowered prices during the past year, but iStorage saw a comparatively large increase from a $170 average to $212.
- Stagnant nationwide growth: As companies like Extra Space Storage and Public Storage saw triple-digit increases in locations, iStorage has remained around the 300 mark nationwide.
- The same old customer review story: iStorage went from a 3.5 to a 3.6 in our customer review store, with most negative reviews still centered around rate increases and rude staff.
Things to know about iStorage
iStorage’s prices are about $20 more than the industry average: about $212 per month. Other companies charge anywhere from about $143–$220, so iStorage has the highest prices of any company on our list. If money is your main concern, iStorage isn't the pick for you.
Limited availability (300+ locations)
It’s tricky to find an iStorage location: the company has only around 300 locations. That sounds like a lot until you realize the average storage unit company has over 1,200 facilities. You can track down iStorage units in 23 states and 204 cities—an increase of 6 new cities over the past year.
Poor customer reviews
iStorage gets some of the lowest customer reviews in the industry. iStorage’s 3.6/5 rating puts it near the bottom of the list in terms of customer satisfaction. iStorage reviews often mention rude customer service and frequently rising rental fees.
While iStorage is a last resort, Extra Space Storage is our first choice because it has the nation’s best combination of low storage prices and wide availability.
We aren’t iStorage’s biggest fans. The self-storage company has above average prices (some places are much more expensive), but it also has very few locations. Combine that with low customer reviews, and there aren’t many reasons to choose iStorage over the best storage unit companies. However, it may be worth considering if there isn’t another storage facility in your area.
Can’t find any other options nearby?
Other storage unit picks
What is a portable storage container?
A portable storage container is also called a moving container. You can transport moving containers from place to place while standard storage units aren’t portable. The best moving container companies are PODS (best overall), 1-800-PACK-RAT (tons of deals), and U-Pack (excellent customer service).
How much does iStorage self-storage cost?
iStorage self-storage costs approximately $212 per month (not including a one-time $26 administrative fee). Costs range from about $70 for a small self-storage unit to $277 for a large one.
Does iStorage have outdoor storage for vehicles?
Yes, iStorage has outdoor storage for vehicles. Its outdoor storage costs about $277 per month—or about $70 more than the best self-storage unit companies.
Does iStorage have RV storage?
Yes, iStorage has RV storage. It recommends 10 x 40-foot units for large recreational vehicles.
Can I speak with a manager at an iStorage facility?
Yes, you can speak with a manager at an iStorage facility. Each of its self-storage properties has an on-site manager to assist you. Many locations also have 24-hour access for a convenient self-storage experience.
How can I find a storage auction?
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
- Compare quotes. We collected more than 2,500 quotes from 8 different companies in 5 cities. We analyzed prices with and without climate control for more than a dozen storage unit sizes.
- Mystery shopping. We called companies posing as customers and visited select storage facilities in-person.
- Research. We conducted thorough research on industry features, services, and requirements such as storage unit insurance, company discounts, climate control specifications, and security details.
- Annual calendar. We repeat this process every year and save our data so that we can compare trends over time.
- Best Self Storage Companies
- Best Storage Unit Locks
- Best Interstate Moving Companies
- Best Moving Container Companies
- Best Car Shipping Companies