Many of the best car shipping companies offer discounts. However, you usually need to ask for a lower price (deals aren’t automatically applied). Some of the most popular deals include military discounts and discounts for shipping multiple cars. You can also save money by getting several auto shipping quotes and choosing the most affordable option.
Auto Transport Deals and Discounts
At a glance
Auto transport deals
Getting a good deal on auto transport quotes is about more than discounts—it’s also about knowing how the system works. It’s kind of like shopping for a new car: if you learn some simple tricks, it’s easy to avoid being taken advantage of.
There are five things you can do to increase your odds of a lower transport quote:
1. Use a reputable broker. You typically work with two types of companies if you want to ship a vehicle: carriers and brokers. Carriers are the companies that physically ship your vehicle using one of a small number of transport trucks. Brokers are the companies that hook you up with carriers. Because they have access to a vast network of carriers, brokers can usually find you lower prices.
2. Get multiple quotes. Go into almost any grocery store, and you’ll find that a Snickers bar costs about the same. It doesn’t work that way with car shipping quotes. Estimates from different car transport services can vary by hundreds of dollars for the same job. We recommend getting quotes from three to five transport companies.
3. Ask about price matching. Save money by asking auto transport companies if they offer price matching. If you get multiple quotes, it’s easy to say, “Company ABC said it would ship my car from Location A to Location B for X dollars. Can you match or beat that?”
4. Understand insurance basics. Some companies will try to sell you expensive insurance to ship a vehicle, but it may not always be in your best interest. Any company in the vehicle transport business is required to carry basic insurance to protect your car against negligent damage. Supplemental plans that cost extra can have value, but they aren’t always necessary.
5. Ask for a discount. Auto transport discounts are relatively common, but shipping company websites aren’t always up to date or easy to navigate. When you get your auto transport quotes, take an extra 10 seconds and ask the customer service representative, “Do you offer auto transport discounts?” Not sure what kinds of discounts are even possible? Scroll down.
Auto transport discounts
It can be expensive to ship a car. Why pay full price if you don’t have to?
Not all transport companies offer discounts, but many do. Since you often have to ask for a discount to get one (because companies aren’t always forthcoming with this info), we’ve put together a list of the most common options.
Common auto transport discounts
Type of discount
Students enrolled in college
Those serving in the US military
Those 65 years or older
Those who move twice each year when the weather changes
Those shipping cars during high-volume and low-volume seasons
First-time shipper discount
Those shipping a car for the first time
Multiple car discount
Those shipping two or more vehicles at the same time
Early bird discount
Those who place an order within 48 hours of getting a quote
Online booking discount
Those who make reservations online
Return customer discount
Those shipping with the same company two or more times
First responder discount
Those in public service professions such as police, firefighters, and EMTs
Auto shipping discount FAQ
Which auto transport company has the best discounts for military auto shipping?
Sherpa Auto Transport has the best discounts for military auto shipping. The auto transport service can save your military family $100 on every shipment (including open and enclosed transport). It may be one reason that Sherpa Auto Transport reviews are well above average.
What is the best military car shipping service?
The best military car shipping service is AmeriFreight. Move.org says that AmeriFreight has an established company history and low shipping rates. AmeriFreight also has a $35 military car transport discount.
What is the shipping cost for a personal operating vehicle?
The shipping cost for a personal operating vehicle is about $1,500, according to Move.org’s analysis of nearly 7000 quotes. The auto shipping company with the lowest rates is AmeriFreight (about 20% below the industry average).
Does American Auto Shipping have military auto transport discounts?
Yes, American Auto Shipping has military auto transport discounts. The car shipping company says that the deals start at around $25 and depend on what your carrier is willing to offer.
What discounts does Easy Auto Ship have?
Easy Auto Ship has discounts for military members and customers shipping multiple vehicles. The transport company is known for cheap car shipping and free rental cars.
Is there a car transport discount for multiple vehicles?
Yes, there is a car transport discount for multiple vehicles. The amount varies depending on the auto transport broker, but most companies have multiple car discounts to lower your overall costs.