Save money by connecting with our free moving concierge to help set up your utilities, internet, movers, & more!
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group Review 2022
Bottom line: Interstate Moving & Relocation Group is worth considering if you’re on a budget and value customer service.
See where Interstate Moving & Relocation Group ranks on our list of the best moving companies.
Table of contents
At Move.org, we offer financial assistance to individuals and families who are moving in exchange for details about their experience. Their candid reviews help us provide unique, real-life perspectives about the moving process.
Visit our Moving Grant hub to find out which companies we’ve worked with and to apply for funding for your next move!
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group plans and pricing
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group is typically less expensive than other professional movers. The long-distance moving company says that most of its interstate moves cost between $500 and $5,000—although it cautions that oversized homes could cost twice as much.1 IMRG says that costs vary based on home size, packing and storage needs, distance, move date, and truck access (it costs extra if the moving truck can’t fit under city bridges).
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group charges a deposit of no more than 33% and offers a $500 discount with no strings attached (all you must do is “call now”). Its flexible cancellation policy also allows you to back out up to seven days before you move.
Why we recommend Interstate Moving & Relocation Group
Moving costs are tricky with professional movers because you can’t get a quote until you provide details (like how many belongings you have and how far you need to go). However, Interstate Moving & Relocation Group frames its entire business around helping customers who need to make every penny count. That includes saving you money upfront.
IMRG has several discounts that set it apart from much of the competition:
- $500 discount. Interstate Moving and Relocation Group gives everyone who calls a $500 deal. There’s no fine print. There’s nothing extra to buy. All you must do is “call now.” It’s also worth pointing out that $500 is 10% of most IMRG high-end long-distance moves.
- Special groups. IMRG also has discounts for seniors, military families, and college students. The amounts vary, so double-check with your IMRG rep for specific details.
Our guide to moving deals tracks nationwide discounts for teachers, first responders, seniors, and more.
Sometimes you get so caught up in the details of your move that you overlook critical details outside your home—like your vehicles. That’s important since car shipping isn’t included in most professional moving services. As a moving broker, IMRG can connect you with industry-leading car shipping companies to handle your transport needs.
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group has whittled down the thousands of possible companies and selected three with the resources, track record, and licensing to get your car to its new location. Not surprisingly, it chose three of our five best car shipping companies: Montway, uShip, and Sherpa.
Our latest analysis of car shipping costs shows that the average price for three auto shippers is approximately $1,050.
Average auto transport costs
Data as of May 14, 2021. Average cost calculated by comparing costs for 3 vehicle sizes across 11 distances. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
Positive customer reviews
IMRG isn’t a flashy company—and customer reviews suggest it doesn’t need to be. The company may offer the same moving services as most companies, but there’s one area where it’s ahead of the curve: customer satisfaction.
Our analysis of more than 10,000 moving reviews shows that IMRG customers are generally more pleased than those who chose other companies. For example, Interstate Moving & Relocation Group scores even higher with customers than industry leaders like International Van Lines and Allied Van Lines.
IMRG customer reviews compared to industry leaders
Data as of May 13, 2022. Based on an analysis of 11,141 customer reviews on 10 popular reviews sites.
Want a moving company that customers like?
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group compared to other companies
While the company scores lower on our overall ranking than most competitors, no competitor has more discounts than IMRG. Its deposit aligns with the moving industry average of approximately 30%:
| ||33% or less||College students, military, seniors||Get a Quote|
| ||25%||Military, seniors||Get a Quote|
| ||NA||Seniors||Get a Quote|
| ||10%–50%||NA||Get a Quote|
| ||NA||Seniors||Get a Quote|
| ||35%||Disabled persons, military, seniors||Get a Quote|
Features and services
Cars, packing, and furniture
IMRG offers three primary moving services for local moves, long-distance moves, corporate relocations, and military moves:
- Auto transportation. Work with IMRG to ship your vehicle anywhere in the United States. That includes motorcycles and classic cars.
- Packing services. Avoid the stress of packing yourself. IMRG can connect you with professional packers that have expertise with valuable and fragile items like pianos, mirrors, and artwork.
- Furniture moving. IMRG can find movers to transport your bulkiest furniture like large sectionals or pool tables.
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group has also identified top-tier companies for local moves in some of the nation’s largest metropolitan areas:
- Boston, MA
- Chicago, IL
- Dallas, TX
- Denver, CO
- Las Vegas, NV
- Los Angeles, CA
- Miami, FL
- New York City, NY
- Phoenix, AZ
- San Francisco, CA
- Seattle, WA
Our moving hub shows you the best movers in more than 50 cities—and we add new ones monthly.
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group at a glance
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group international services
As a moving broker, IMRG doesn’t provide international moving services. It also doesn’t actively advertise overseas moving. However, Interstate Moving & Relocation Group partners with full-service movers that can go to virtually any country, like North American Van Lines and United Van Lines.
International moving is more complicated than you think. Our international moving guide shows you everything you need to know about an overseas relocation.
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group long-term review
In general, Interstate Moving & Relocation Group has expanded the reach of its services over time. Our IMRG long-term review shows three significant changes since we last wrote about the company:
- Local moves. When we last reviewed IMRG, the company didn’t offer local moving services. However, it now has moving partners in nearly a dozen cities and works with other moving companies that can move your belongings anywhere in the country.
- Cancellation policy. In past years, your IMRG deposit wasn’t refundable if you canceled your reservation within five days of your move date. The company now requires a full week’s notice (seven days)—or you forfeit your deposit.
- Lower ranking. Interstate Moving & Relocation Group dropped from a 4.1 to 3.6-star rating on Move.org. That’s partly because IMRG falls short in certain areas (like not offering shipment tracking or weekend customer service). But it’s also because other companies continue to improve in the convenience its offers customers.
One thing that hasn’t changed is customer reviews. We’re still impressed with IMRG’s above-average customer satisfaction rating.
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group Inc. is a solid choice if you need an affordable long-distance moving company. It has a flashy $500 discount and offers additional savings for seniors, college students, and military families. Plus, IMRG has essential relocation services like car shipping and full-service packing. On the downside, most IMRG services are provided by all of the best long-distance moving companies. The real standout is that Interstate Moving & Relocation Group outshines the competition in customer satisfaction.
Looking for an interstate moving company with top-notch reviews?
Long-distance mover FAQ
How much does an interstate move cost?
IMRG says that interstate moves typically cost between $500 and $5,000. However, due to the high prices of cross-country movers, customers sometimes prefer lower-cost moving container companies.
Does Interstate Moving & Relocation Group do local moves?
Interstate Moving & Relocation Group now does local moves. While it has featured partners in only a handful of cities, IMRG can select one of 7,000 professional movers to take you anywhere in the country.
How is Interstate Moving & Relocation Group Inc. rated?
Move.org gives Interstate Moving & Relocation Group a rating of 3.6 out of 5 stars. Customers grade the company slightly higher with an average rating of 4.0 stars.
What is considered an interstate move?
An interstate move is any move that crosses state lines. Distance doesn’t matter, so it’s considered “interstate” regardless of whether you go from New York to Washington DC or North Carolina to California.
What impacts an interstate move’s cost?
The cost for an interstate move depends on several factors, including home size, time of year, and moving distance. Movers also charge extra for services like car shipping and storage rental.
Move.org calculates industry averages and identifies pricing trends by following a fourfold research approach:
- Compare quotes. We collected nearly 700 quotes from 10 different companies. The car shipping quotes included prices for a motorcycle, car, SUV, and truck across 11 distances on both open and enclosed transport.
- Mystery shopping. We contacted auto transport companies posing as customers to gather pricing data and learn how the brokers formulate their prices.
- Site visits. We invited several industry leaders to visit our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, and explain what goes into their pricing. We then compared their answers to information we independently obtained to verify accuracy.
- Annual calendar. We repeat this process every year and save our data so that we can compare trends over time.
People also asked
Other cross-country moving picks
- Interstate Moving & Relocation Group. “How Much Will It Cost Me to Move?” Accessed August 12, 2022.