There are several moving companies worth considering if you live in Alabama. You have thousands of choices, but they offer slightly different services, quality, and pricing. International Van Lines is our pick for the best Alabama mover. However, there are some other top-notch professional moving choices as well. We’ve compiled a list of the best moving services in Alabama.
Best Moving Companies in Alabama
Compare Alabama moving companies
|Full-service (long distance)|| ||$$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Full-service (local)|| ||$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Moving container|| ||$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Truck rental|| ||$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Hourly labor|| ||$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
What type of moving company is right for you?
Professional movers load your stuff, ship it to your new home, and unload it all for you. It’s the easiest—but most expensive—option. Learn more.
You load up all your belongings, but the movers transport your container to your new home. It’s the middle road for effort and cost. Learn more.
Worried about costs? Rent a truck, load it yourself, drive it to your new home, and unload all your things. You do it all—and save a lot. Learn more.
What to know about living in Alabama
Alabama is home to approximately five million residents. It has a growth rate of 0.3%,1 and the average age is 39.2 Alabama’s most-represented ethnic groups are White, African American, and Latino. About 14% of Alabamans live in a different house than one year ago,1 and roughly 640,000 people moved last year—including 530,000 residents relocating from one Alabama city to another.3
The University of Alabama Crimson Tide belongs to the Southeastern Conference. It has a long history under coach Nick Saban of defeating teams like Ohio State, Penn State, NC State, and Oklahoma State.
The median household income in Alabama is around $52,040. Only about 57% of the state participates in the labor force,1 and the state added approximately 42,000 payroll jobs last year.4 The Yellowhammer State’s largest industries are food services, education, and construction. The highest-paying non-medical occupations are securities, software publishing, and pipeline transportation. Alabama’s wealthiest counties include Shelby County, Madison County, and Limestone County, while the poorest areas are Perry County, Hale County, and Sumter County.2
The best motorcycle shipping companies can transport your car from California cities like North Hollywood or Beverly Hills to anywhere in the country.
Cost of living
It’s cheaper to live in Alabama than almost anywhere else in the United States. Only Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Kansas have a lower overall cost of living. Grocery bills top the list of Alabama’s most expensive items but still ranks well below the national average. Its least costly spending categories include housing and health costs.5 The median property value is approximately $150,000,1 and homeownership rates are about 5% above the national average.2
Alabama is a heavily-Republican state. More than half of residents identify with the GOP, while only 35% of the state leans Democratic.6 Republicans showed even better in the 2020 presidential election, with Donald Trump securing 62% of the vote. Alabama’s reddest counties are Winston county, Cleburne County, and Blount County, while its bluest regions include Macon County, Greene County, and Perry County.2
American Van Lines is our pick for the highest-quality interstate moving company. It’s expensive, but the company has decades of experience moving high-value items like pianos and artwork.
Best movers Alabama FAQ
Alabama is famous for many things, including college football and Southern hospitality. The Crimson Tide regularly rank higher in the AP Top 25 than competitors like Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Notre Dame.
The best ways to move between Alabama and another state depend on whether you value price or convenience. The cheapest moving container companies can often save you thousands of dollars, while professional companies provide top-to-bottom moving services for a premium.
We conducted intensive research to identify the best moving companies for long-distance moves and local moves, in addition to container moves, truck rentals, and hourly moving labor:
- Compare pricing transparency. We gather quotes, check for binding estimates, and read customer reviews about pricing to ensure each moving company’s prices are trustworthy.
- Review accreditation. We check every company’s records in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s database to confirm companies are properly authorized to transport household goods.
- Mystery shopping. We review every company’s website, pose as customers in calls to companies, and read customer reviews to analyze every company’s moving services, transit protection, and customer service. We also interview actual customers to learn how their moves went from start to finish.
- Site visits. We invite moving companies to our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, to share data and expertise. We verify the information they provide by comparing it to data gathered through independent research and interviews with other movers.
- Regular review. We routinely repeat this process to update our recommendations to reflect current data and trends. We also revise each review annually and make updates throughout the year.
Best moving companies by state
- United States Census Bureau. “Quick Facts: Alabama.” Accessed October 17, 2022.
- Deloitte. “Data USA: Alabama.” Accessed October 17, 2022.
- United States Census Bureau, December 17, 2020. “Census Bureau Releases 2020 CPS ASEC Geographic Mobility Data.” Accessed October 17, 2022.
- United States Congress Joint Economic Committee, September 16, 2022. “Alabama Employment Report.” Accessed October 17, 2022.
- Missouri Economic Research and Information Center. “Cost of Living Data Series.” Accessed October 17, 2022.
- Pew Research Center. “Religious Landscape Study: Party Affiliation among Adults in Alabama.” Accessed October 17, 2022.