You have plenty of options when moving in the Beehive State, but our top pick is International Van Lines. Outside of full-service moving companies like our top pick, there are several accessible truck rental and moving container companies that can help you through your move. Whether you’re headed to Salt Lake City, Provo, West Valley City, or Orem, we’ll help you find the best company to get you there.
Best Moving Companies in Utah
Compare Utah moving companies
|Full-service (long distance)|| ||$$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Full-service (local)|| ||$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Moving container|| ||$$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Truck rental|| ||$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
|Hourly labor|| ||$$||Check Prices Check Prices|
What type of moving company is right for you?
Professional movers load your stuff, ship it to your new home, and unload it all for you. It’s the easiest—but most expensive—option. Learn more.
You load up all your belongings, but the movers transport your container to your new home. It’s the middle road for effort and cost. Learn more.
Worried about costs? Rent a truck, load it yourself, drive it to your new home, and unload all your things. You do it all—and save a lot. Learn more.
What to know about living in Utah
About 3.15 million people are living in Utah, with a median age of 31.1 The majority of Utahns are White (77.9%), followed by Hispanic (14.8%), Asian (2.7%), African-American, and Native American (1.5% each).1 Nearly 15% of people in Utah report speaking a language other than English at home. On average, there are three people per household in the Beehive State.2 Additionally, 93% of Utahns have at least a high school diploma, and about 35.5% have at least a bachelor’s degree.1
Utah has a workforce of about 1.405 million people with a median household income of $74, 197. The industries that employ the most people in Utah are construction, education, and food services.2 Top employers in the area include large organizations such as Teleperformance, Intermountain Healthcare, University of Utah Health, and Zions Bancorporation.2
Cost of living
Utah is about 1% below the average national cost of living.3 Due to recent issues around inflation, this number is subject to fluctuation. Utilities are the cheapest aspect of Utah living, which are 9.1% lower than the national average—about $270 per month.4
On average, Utah homes hold values at about $551,884, with the most expensive homes in Heber, Provo, Salt Lake City, and Ogden. About 8.6% of Utahns live below the poverty line.1
Utah is a solidly red state, with the state’s six electoral votes awarded to the Republican candidate in the past 12 elections.5 While larger metro areas sometimes favor the Democratic candidate, the last time a Democratic candidate secured Utah was 1964.6 The state is represented in the US Senate by Republicans Mike Lee and Mitt Romney.
Similarly, the Republican party controls the state government. Current governor Spencer Cox is the sixth consecutive Republican in office.6
American Van Lines is our pick for the highest-quality interstate moving company. It’s expensive, but the company has decades of experience moving high-value items like pianos and artwork.
Best Utah movers FAQ
No matter where you move, moving costs will depend on several key factors. Distance, the size of your home, and the time of the year will affect your final price. On average, local moves using full-service moving companies cost $7,600. This number can be much higher or lower depending on the variables mentioned above, so get as many quotes as you can.
Lone Peak, Farmington, Syracuse, and Herriman are among the safest cities in Utah, according to data gathered by SafeWise.7 Across the state, violent crime (2.6 incidents per 1,000 people) is below the national average (4.0 incidents per 1,000 people). On the other hand, property crime in Utah (24.6 incidents per 1,000 people) is above the national average (19.6 incidents per 1,000 people).
You can expect to pay about $180 per month for storage in Vermont. Top storage companies offer a wide variety of extra services and features that may affect the price depending on which you choose. We recommend climate-controlled storage to keep your belongings safe during Utah’s cold winters and hot summers.
We conducted intensive research to identify the best moving companies for long-distance moves and local moves, in addition to container moves, truck rentals, and hourly moving labor:
- Compare pricing transparency. We gather quotes, check for binding estimates, and read customer reviews about pricing to ensure each moving company’s prices are trustworthy.
- Review accreditation. We check every company’s records in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s database to confirm companies are properly authorized to transport household goods.
- Mystery shopping. We review every company’s website, pose as customers in calls to companies, and read customer reviews to analyze every company’s moving services, transit protection, and customer service. We also interview actual customers to learn how their moves went from start to finish.
- Site visits. We invite moving companies to our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT, to share data and expertise. We verify the information they provide by comparing it to data gathered through independent research and interviews with other movers.
- Regular review. We routinely repeat this process to update our recommendations to reflect current data and trends. We also revise each review annually and make updates throughout the year.
Best moving companies by state
- US Census Bureau. “QuickFacts: Utah,” July 2022. Accessed January 25, 2023.
- DataUSA. “Utah,” November 2020. Accessed January 30, 2023.
- CareerKarma. “The 10 Largest Companies in Utah,” February 2022. Accessed January 30, 2023.
- Zillow. “Utah Home Values,” December 2022. Accessed January 30, 2023.
- 270ToWin. “Utah,” January 2023. Accessed January 30, 2023.
- BallotPedia. “Party control of Utah state government,” January 2023. Accessed January 30, 2023.
- SafeWise. “Utah’s 10 Safest Cities 2022,” March 2022. Accessed January 30, 2023.